Discuss Can i use a lawnmower motor for my diy go kart? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it is a petrol motor then yes, you should be able to...
If it is an electric motor then yes,.... if you have a very long extension lead..

If it is a petrol motor then yes, you should be able to...
If it is an electric motor then yes,.... if you have a very long extension lead..
Yeah it is a benzine motor but how to make it horizontal can i use something like this?
mp-yams-5a40728d381f41d5aa49b85d426d42a7-Deze.jpg

i want TEL 80Y making the 8 like a B with strategically placed screws.

i have a lawnmower motor could i use it to make a diy go-kart and how i am new to enginering
There's an old 45HP petrol mower engine buried in the back of my workshop for just this reason!! It was either a go-kart or Robotwars project years ago that now looks likely more for any grandkids I end up with in retirement.....

NB - slightly indulgent and off-topic but when I was 11-12 at school we had a combined metal/wood work teacher who was passionate about enabling engineering and he would voluntarily stay behind after hours and run 'technology' clubs. Stuff of a bygone era, sadly, but we built a beach buggy from a welded box section steel frame with a front axle set robbed off of something I now can't remember, that if you removed the seat and the underplate in order to stand up was lightweight enough that one person could pick it up. THEN we strapped a 1.6 VW beetle engine on the back, complete with rear L/R fiddle brakes..... this thing went like stink!! How none of us ever got seriously hurt remains a mystery but we time/distanced trialed it across the school yard at well into three figures!! I was at LeMan 24hrs a few years back and got challenged to put an american muscle car block into a Mini Cooper (as in, the original) and I think I've worked out how to do it......

There's an old 45HP petrol mower engine buried in the back of my workshop for just this reason!! It was either a go-kart or Robotwars project years ago that now looks likely more for any grandkids I end up with in retirement.....

NB - slightly indulgent and off-topic but when I was 11-12 at school we had a combined metal/wood work teacher who was passionate about enabling engineering and he would voluntarily stay behind after hours and run 'technology' clubs. Stuff of a bygone era, sadly, but we built a beach buggy from a welded box section steel frame with a front axle set robbed off of something I now can't remember, that if you removed the seat and the underplate in order to stand up was lightweight enough that one person could pick it up. THEN we strapped a 1.6 VW beetle engine on the back, complete with rear L/R fiddle brakes..... this thing went like stink!! How none of us ever got seriously hurt remains a mystery but we time/distanced trialed it across the school yard at well into three figures!! I was at LeMan 24hrs a few years back and got challenged to put an american muscle car block into a Mini Cooper (as in, the original) and I think I've worked out how to do it......
u know how to make it vertical and not horizontal?

u know how to make it vertical and not horizontal?
Depends entirely on what you've got but the easiest solution to avoid more components and friction losses is just to mount it on it's side, probably enabled by removing the fuel tank separately (which isn't a bad idea anyway as it means you can make it safer and bigger!), and replace the end connector where the blade would normally attach for a belt-wheel instead and run that down to rotate your axle, but as I say it's entirely dependant on what you want to build / resources available.

Depends entirely on what you've got but the easiest solution to avoid more components and friction losses is just to mount it on it's side, probably enabled by removing the fuel tank separately (which isn't a bad idea anyway as it means you can make it safer and bigger!), and replace the end connector where the blade would normally attach for a belt-wheel instead and run that down to rotate your axle, but as I say it's entirely dependant on what you want to build / resources available.
do u need like a electric pump to get the fuel in the engine

so i put the fuel tank on top? and put a tube in the hole where the fuel needs to go?

but will the carburettor work on it's side? maybe a motorbike 2 stroke 125cc. would be better as you have a vertical output with gears if you include the crunch box.

but will the carburettor work on it's side? maybe a motorbike 2 stroke 125cc. would be better as you have a vertical output with gears if you include the crunch box.
We’re missing a chunk of info here but my guess is that if it’s a two-stroke then it might need some small fuel-assist pump. That said, thinking about the other 2-strokes I’ve got on things like hedge cutters and strummers, they don’t seem to mind what way up they are so long as the fuel pipe is wet. The old one I’ve got put by is a 4 stroke and I doubt will care.

I would have thought that the biggest downside of keeping ‘as is’ and fitting a transverse coupler would be that the starting torque to get moving would be crippling if you’re just relying on the simple slip clutch that I’d expect to find on a mower engine?

We’re missing a chunk of info here but my guess is that if it’s a two-stroke then it might need some small fuel-assist pump. That said, thinking about the other 2-strokes I’ve got on things like hedge cutters and strummers, they don’t seem to mind what way up they are so long as the fuel pipe is wet. The old one I’ve got put by is a 4 stroke and I doubt will care.

I would have thought that the biggest downside of keeping ‘as is’ and fitting a transverse coupler would be that the starting torque to get moving would be crippling if you’re just relying on the simple slip clutch that I’d expect to find on a mower engine?
hey on the lawnmower engine can u put it on his side i thought it will not work then but u know how to use it if it is horizontal?

Reply to Can i use a lawnmower motor for my diy go kart? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net