Discuss Can you use SY cable outside\ underground? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've got 50m of 6mm SY multiflex cable, left over from a job. I've recently built an outbuilding for tool storage and office use and was thinking I would use this, instead of forking money out for armoured. The cable run is approx 30m and I planned on clipping the first 5m to the outside of the house (out of direct sunlight), and running the rest under a deck and then in some scalfolding pipe underground through the lawn area. Is it suitable to run this cable underground (as I have nver done so before) and also it has a tinned steel wire braid, so would this count as mechanical protection so that I could run it of a non protected RCD circuit, and then into the RCD protected outbuilding CU (save walking back to the house if the RCD trips).

Cheers

Tom

It is a form of mechanical protection, however not as great as SWA. As for ducting it in a scaffolding pole how do you iintend to duct it going into the ground and out? Is the pipe bend either end?

If its protected in the right way then i personally can't see anything wrong, other than I don't thinks its made for it.

Why scaffold tube to run it through? Bit of a heath robinson way really

Hi , unfortunatley , the wire braiding in sy cable is not classed as mechanical protection so will have be in conduit to go underground and will still need rcd protection.

Hi , unfortunatley , the wire braiding in sy cable is not classed as mechanical protection so will have be in conduit to go underground and will still need rcd protection.

Agree with biff. While tougher than standard flex or T&E, SY is not mechanically protected from impact damage.
Save it for your next job and get yourself some armoured. Unlikely you will need more than 2.5mm anyway if it's just for storage and a little office work.

Agree with biff. While tougher than standard flex or T&E, SY is not mechanically protected from impact damage.
Save it for your next job and get yourself some armoured. Unlikely you will need more than 2.5mm anyway if it's just for storage and a little office work.

Yes , It's not suitable to be directly buried in the ground but can be used outside if protected. I had the data sheet for this but I've lost it. You can get one from the RS site in PDF for that and other products.

By the time you fight with the scaffold tube , be less hassle to just buy a bit of armour.

Reply to Can you use SY cable outside\ underground? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock