Discuss Can't get within maximum load when applying diversity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if you might chuck in your 10 cents worth on this on?
I have been asked to install electric heating in an office up on the 4th floor of a building.
I've looked at the layout of the room, with regards of seating etc and after consulting with the occupiers have decided on the layout / positioning of heaters.
Assuming that this needs no further discussion, I have settled on 8x 750 watt Dimplex PLX units as I use them pretty regularly and they seem to do the job well enough.
I am planning to run individual 2.5mm radial circuits to an FCUs for each heater, with a 5amp fuse in each. Total draw would be 8x 750 watts = 6kW (26amps).
The problem is the existing circuits are arranged in such a way that, when diversity is applied, the total calculated demand is already higher than the 63amp main switch located 3 floors below allows for. That said, there is nothing plugged in that particularly uses any power (about 6 PCs in total and a few phones / printers / usual office crap.) There is an instantaneous water heater in the kitchenette, but that's on a 13amp FCU taken from one of the ring finals. The existing lighting is arranged in to 3x 10amp circuits (although the whole lot could easily have been on one 6amp RCBO.) Finally there are 3x aircon units each on a 10amp RCBO. There is no heating installed and the last tenants used to plug in bunch of floor mounted 2/3kW convector jobs, which never overloaded the main fuse. That said, however I'm not happy exceeding maximum demand on paper, even though I'm pretty sure it'll never be exceeded.
Here's what I thought might be my solution:
I take the 3x aircon circuits out of the existing CU and install a 32amp MCB for a submain.
The submain pops directly into a 32amp changeover switch with 3 positions (A, B and OFF).
The changeover switch supplies 2 lots of tails (A & B) going into a 15 way CU.
Tails A feed into a 32A/30mA RCD main switch (RCD A) protecting 8x 6amp MCBs (one for each panel heater)
Tails B feed into a 32A/30mA RCD main switch (RCD B) protecting 3x 10amp MCBs (one for each aircon unit)
Total ways required 15.
The changeover switch will ensure that the RCD A and RCD B can never be energised at the same time thereby keeping my maximum demand exactly where it already is during the summer months and lowering it during the months where the heating will be used.

Does that sound like a plan, or am I way off base here? I am also thinking of consolidating some of the existing circuits as there is no need for the 3 ring finals and 3 lighting radials.
OK....over to you, my learned chums.....

what's the point of consolidating several circuits into a lesser number? the load won't alter. this is a case where common sense ( going by actual loads, rather than MCB ratings) comes into play. on occasions the load might exceed 63A for brief times, but the 63A main switch will tolerate that. what's the supply from/to that 63A switch fused at?

The very point, Snow...assuming they are cooling only, it makes sense to swap them for heating/cooling units. Save a lot of faffing around.

what's the point of consolidating several circuits into a lesser number? the load won't alter. this is a case where common sense ( going by actual loads, rather than MCB ratings) comes into play. on occasions the load might exceed 63A for brief times, but the 63A main switch will tolerate that. what's the supply from/to that 63A switch fused at?
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Obviously I understand that consolidation won't change the load, I just wanted to demonstrate to those that might pick me up on it, that I have considered diversity. Eg if I have 2x 32 rings then its 48 amp (assuming 50% diversity on lesser ring) but if I consolidate them, then I'm back to just 32amp. I realise it changes nothing in the real world, but design wise.......
Anyhoo, that wasn't the main issue here. What do you reckon about the changeover switch?
The supply from the street is 3 phase 250amp per phase divided amongst a bunch of offices on different floors. 1x 3 phase 63 amp thermal magnetic circuit breaker per floor. My particular 63 amp breaker feeds 3x single phase CUs, one for my office and 2 for landlord supply CUs with 1 socket and 1 light in total.
[automerge]1567250724[/automerge]
Are the A/c units cooling only?
Cooling only.
[automerge]1567250785[/automerge]
The very point, Snow...assuming they are cooling only, it makes sense to swap them for heating/cooling units. Save a lot of faffing around.
...save me having to worry about it, too!! lol

If the AC units are cooling only it's probably safe to say it's unlikely they will be used at the same time as the heaters.

Carry out a load study to establish the actual maximum and average demands.
The diversity you are applying is really just a guideline for planning new installations or assessing something where no more accurate information is available.

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Obviously I understand that consolidation won't change the load, I just wanted to demonstrate to those that might pick me up on it, that I have considered diversity. Eg if I have 2x 32 rings then its 48 amp (assuming 50% diversity on lesser ring) but if I consolidate them, then I'm back to just 32amp. I realise it changes nothing in the real world, but design wise.......
Anyhoo, that wasn't the main issue here. What do you reckon about the changeover switch?

What do you mean by 'demonstrate to those that might pick me up on it'?
Consolidating circuits as you describe it is probably going to achieve nothing more than taking an installation which has been well designed and divided into a sensible number of circuits and turning it into one which is poorly designed and a nightmare when a fault occurs.

If you have two ring circuits then it's 0A until something is plugged in.

I think the changeover switch idea sounds unnecessary and like a nice way to waste the customers money.

What do you mean by 'demonstrate to those that might pick me up on it'?
Consolidating circuits as you describe it is probably going to achieve nothing more than taking an installation which has been well designed and divided into a sensible number of circuits and turning it into one which is poorly designed and a nightmare when a fault occurs.

If you have two ring circuits then it's 0A until something is plugged in.

I think the changeover switch idea sounds unnecessary and like a nice way to waste the customers money.
Also with the "domestic two RCD consumer unit"

I am planning to run individual 2.5mm radial circuits to an FCUs for each heater, with a 5amp fuse in each. Total draw would be 8x 750 watts = 6kW (26amps).

Here's what I thought might be my solution:
I take the 3x aircon circuits out of the existing CU and install a 32amp MCB for a submain.
The submain pops directly into a 32amp changeover switch with 3 positions (A, B and OFF).
The changeover switch supplies 2 lots of tails (A & B) going into a 15 way CU.
Tails A feed into a 32A/30mA RCD main switch (RCD A) protecting 8x 6amp MCBs (one for each panel heater)
Tails B feed into a 32A/30mA RCD main switch (RCD B) protecting 3x 10amp MCBs (one for each aircon unit)

That's a very poor design.
8x small heaters seems like a very odd way of doing it, why not fewer, bigger heaters? What control system are you installing for these heaters?

Feeding the submain from an MCB will give you no discrimination, a correctly set mccb or correctly rated hrc fuse would be much better. You may have to go for something larger than 32A to achieve discrimination.

Why will the heaters need RCD protection? And why would you want them all on one single RCD?

Same for thr aircon, why does this need RCD protection? And is putting them all on one RCD really sensible, I'd expect that to cause a lot of trouble.

Cheers again all. It's always good to get your input.
Dave, I appreciate your concern. I am actually trying to save the customer money, mate. A changeover switch is about ÂŁ50. A new / additional supply, if they're gonna go over on demand would be way way more, right?
Assuming your assumption that the existing installation is in fact well designed and that I am a cowboy messing with God's own installation then all your points are in fact correct and I should go back shovelling poop for a better qualified man than I. However, lets for a second assume that I undertake work in compliance with the wiring regs and that I do care that the clients needs are being met, while at the same time I won't be overloading any circuits. Bearing that in mind, and working out diversity on the the set up of the circuits as they are, because neither you nor I have the slightest clue what is going to plugged in to the sockets when we are not looking, so that's the only way I can see that I can work it out staying in line with the regs. I understand your point about not bunging everything on one mcb / rcbo so I can get the measurement down to 32 amp. Yes you are correct there, but there is room for me to make changes that do not turn the installation into a horror show. Decisions sometimes have to be made to make something slightly less that ideal (not dangerous or prone to overloading in anyway), to accommodate some form of addition
They wan't heaters dotted around so that there is one at every desk point, so the staff don't argue over who gets to be near a heater and who doesn't. I can't see a problem with this, if that's what they want, mate. It can be done, so why not do it?
There's no main controller for the heating system. Its a simple case of dotting PLXE panel heaters around the room. They want to keep costs as low as possible, and I am trying to install something safe and effective that complies with regs and wont make anything go pop. In my experience, and I have installed quite a few of these type of units in the past, they do a pretty good job.
The AC units are already on an RCD so taking them off would render the fault protection worse than when I started, so thats why they are going back on RCD. I have obviously considered putting the heaters in RCBOs and may opt to consolidate a few of them onto each circuit, thereby cutting down on the amount of ways needed. I am happy to ditch the RCD main switch/ RCD set up and replace with BS60947/3 / RCBO set ups, but I may have to offer the client both options as the price will be different and that will be a factor for them. To be honest though, unless there is very good reason, I don't install anything without RCD in domestic or commercial setting. There is no "competent person" employed at the office and I have no idea about their PAT routine, if in fact they have one at all, so I hope that answers the RCD questions?
Those that might pick me up on it are my annual inspection guys, who are not averse to asking about diversity calcs in situations like this. Seems quite reasonable to me, to be honest.
Sorry, if I am coming across a bit tetchy guys, Dave in particular. I do appreciate everyone's input and ideas, but I am sure the purpose of most people posting on here is not to be roasted for ideas based on information that none of you have. If that's the case, then whats the point of this forum. Can't we share knowledge without trying to belittle each other?
Bottom line is this.....if I just add the heaters and they fire up the heaters and the aircon units and a kettle / toaster at the same time, and turn on the hot tap (firing the ariston under the counter) then there will most probably be a pop, so I go back to my ÂŁ50 changover switch solution...have I sold anyone on the idea yet? ;-)

I like the fact that you are clearly telling us your reasoning, ThatMatt72, and I agree that the purpose of the forum is helping and sharing. However I also feel that the vast majority of replies in this thread have truly been aimed at assisting you.
There's always a problem when working to a budget...who doesn't?
With 8 Dimplex PLXE panel heaters it would seem that the cost would be a bit over ÂŁ1000, plus the cost of fitting, wiring and your labour cost. Maybe that total is what the customer can afford?
Maybe the idea of replacing the aircon units with ones that heat and cool would be simpler? It would be possible to recoup some of the extra outlay by selling the old units.
Maybe using different heaters would be an option. for example, infrared panels, wall or ceiling mounted, while twice the price of the Dimplex units might allow you to use fewer heaters and get better/cheaper heat, depending upon the building construction, ceiling height etc.
Just throwing a couple of ideas at you.

I see where you are coming from , personal heaters -vs- central aircon arguments.
(but I never did enjoy a panel heater facing me )
Heating wishes often vary with gender !

(Do count up the laser printers /more thirsty than inkJet)

Last edited:
Cheers again all. It's always good to get your input.
Dave, I appreciate your concern. I am actually trying to save the customer money, mate. A changeover switch is about ÂŁ50. A new / additional supply, if they're gonna go over on demand would be way way more, right?
Assuming your assumption that the existing installation is in fact well designed and that I am a cowboy messing with God's own installation then all your points are in fact correct and I should go back shovelling poop for a better qualified man than I. However, lets for a second assume that I undertake work in compliance with the wiring regs and that I do care that the clients needs are being met, while at the same time I won't be overloading any circuits. Bearing that in mind, and working out diversity on the the set up of the circuits as they are, because neither you nor I have the slightest clue what is going to plugged in to the sockets when we are not looking, so that's the only way I can see that I can work it out staying in line with the regs. I understand your point about not bunging everything on one mcb / rcbo so I can get the measurement down to 32 amp. Yes you are correct there, but there is room for me to make changes that do not turn the installation into a horror show. Decisions sometimes have to be made to make something slightly less that ideal (not dangerous or prone to overloading in anyway), to accommodate some form of addition
They wan't heaters dotted around so that there is one at every desk point, so the staff don't argue over who gets to be near a heater and who doesn't. I can't see a problem with this, if that's what they want, mate. It can be done, so why not do it?
There's no main controller for the heating system. Its a simple case of dotting PLXE panel heaters around the room. They want to keep costs as low as possible, and I am trying to install something safe and effective that complies with regs and wont make anything go pop. In my experience, and I have installed quite a few of these type of units in the past, they do a pretty good job.
The AC units are already on an RCD so taking them off would render the fault protection worse than when I started, so thats why they are going back on RCD. I have obviously considered putting the heaters in RCBOs and may opt to consolidate a few of them onto each circuit, thereby cutting down on the amount of ways needed. I am happy to ditch the RCD main switch/ RCD set up and replace with BS60947/3 / RCBO set ups, but I may have to offer the client both options as the price will be different and that will be a factor for them. To be honest though, unless there is very good reason, I don't install anything without RCD in domestic or commercial setting. There is no "competent person" employed at the office and I have no idea about their PAT routine, if in fact they have one at all, so I hope that answers the RCD questions?
Those that might pick me up on it are my annual inspection guys, who are not averse to asking about diversity calcs in situations like this. Seems quite reasonable to me, to be honest.
Sorry, if I am coming across a bit tetchy guys, Dave in particular. I do appreciate everyone's input and ideas, but I am sure the purpose of most people posting on here is not to be roasted for ideas based on information that none of you have. If that's the case, then whats the point of this forum. Can't we share knowledge without trying to belittle each other?
Bottom line is this.....if I just add the heaters and they fire up the heaters and the aircon units and a kettle / toaster at the same time, and turn on the hot tap (firing the ariston under the counter) then there will most probably be a pop, so I go back to my ÂŁ50 changover switch solution...have I sold anyone on the idea yet? ;-)

I'm not trying to belittle you, I'm just trying to put my thoughts across and ask questions about the reasoning behind your design.

The only positive point I can see for the changeover switch idea is that it will provide a crude interlock to prevent simultaneous heating and cooling.

No matter how you rearrange or combine the existing circuits you won't change the average or peak load, you will only increase the disruption caused by a fault.

Yes a group of people could all switch on a bunch of appliances at the same time, and all 8 heaters might all cut in on their thermostats at that exact same time, but that's pretty unlikely. And even then the load will settle down again before it reaches the tripping point of the OCPD for the submain.

Yes an assessor might ask you about this, but you just need to give a sensible answer. I suspect they would be more concerned about the blanket unnecessary application of RCDs demonstrating a lack of knowledge along with the odd combining of circuits.

Diversity is an excuse to downrate a calculated cable size. Fundamentally it ----u-me-s that you don't use all of the appliances all of the time. But when it gets cold everyone will switch on their personal heater.

IMO for your risk assessment you need to do a realistic load calculation based on what equipment is actually there, and which items are probably going to be operating simultaneously.

Perhaps you could find a way to split the landlord's under-utilised two phases.

Diversity is an excuse to downrate a calculated cable size. Fundamentally it ----u-me-s that you don't use all of the appliances all of the time. But when it gets cold everyone will switch on their personal heater.

IMO for your risk assessment you need to do a realistic load calculation based on what equipment is actually there, and which items are probably going to be operating simultaneously.

Perhaps you could find a way to split the landlord's under-utilised two phases.

Diversity is a well established principle that does work and is not just an excuse to downrate anything.
It doesn't just assume that not all appliances are on at once, it takes account of the nature of the loads and how they behave. For example these electric heaters will be cycling on and off at different rates regardless of whether they are switched on all at the same time or not.

I asked a question in post 9 the reason behind it was if the three phases could be installed in a three-phase D.B. and the loads distributed across phases.

Reply to Can't get within maximum load when applying diversity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock