Discuss Car Suggestions - Pipe Carriers, Ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
It's got to a point that our poor car just isn't cutting the mustard anymore. It was never designed to be used as an electricians car. Up to now I've managed, but I've got much bigger jobs coming up needing to work at height, transporting conduit and so on, so it has to go.

With family restrictions I can't go with a van or pickup, as my as my daughter would love one, but it has to be a car, specifically either an estate, SUV or MPV.

So I wondered if anyone out there uses their family car for work, and if so, have you been able to fit pipe carriers and ladders to its roof. Love to hear people's recommendations.

We used to own a Qashqai+2 and that was like a Tardis with what we could get inside, but it's roof just doesn't seem to suit long straight carriers, so that's probably out. I'm tempted by a Freelander 2, much flatter roof, downside it's a diesel, and I've been bitten once before when a diesel car goes wrong (£3k repair bill for a DPF which effectively wrote it off), so not keen to repeat that.

VW....long roof, loads of room inside,...... and you can also go on holidayin it.

Car Suggestions - Pipe Carriers, Ladders 1612287761399 - EletriciansForums.net

Like Strima has said ! I have a crewcab van, one of my best decisions I have to say on the transport front ! I had several vans over the years and although I also had use of a car it become a bit of a pain having to come back to swop over vehicles to pick grandkids up etc,.

Looks like we've found a car that'll do the job, a 2006 Honda CR-V that has a side opening boot. After 2006 they switched to the usual hatch back design.

If the Honda doesn't work out, and you're happy with a car of that age, the Vectra C estate is basically a shed on wheels. Huge load space, big square opening and a long flat roof - I replaced mine with an Insignia and still mourn the loss of practicality.

Seat Alhambra / VW Sharan

I have a 2004 Seat Alhambra currently has 195,000 on it and is a nice motor take row 2 & 3 seats out and you have a massive load space, seats can be removed or replaced in minutes and used in different configurations

Jeep Cherokee 4L straight 6 petrol. sod the climate.

I've always used a car for work, but with a towbar, and a trailer behind when necessary. For the first twenty years it was a Mini saloon (original type), with half a matching Mini van towed behind it. The car had a roof bar, and so did the van, and could easily carry the longest ladders and the 6m lengths of pipe/conduit that were standard at the time, with no overhang. Load secured firmly at the front, and with a little bit of slack at the back.

Where abouts in the country are you? I have a second hand trunking/conduit 3m tube for sale if you're interested? I bought a longer van and don't need it any more.

Last edited:
I've always used a car for work, but with a towbar, and a trailer behind when necessary. For the first twenty years it was a Mini saloon (original type), with half a matching Mini van towed behind it. The car had a roof bar, and so did the van, and could easily carry the longest ladders and the 6m lengths of pipe/conduit that were standard at the time, with no overhang. Load secured firmly at the front, and with a little bit of slack at the back.

Just bare in mind if you passed your test after 1997 you might need to do an extra driving test to pull some trailers.

my van is 3500kg if fully loaded. it has a warning sticker saying a tacho may be required with a trailer.

Just looked it up. No extra licence required up to 3500 kg total weight of car and trailer.

It's the gross laden weight they go on. My 2.9T pick-up + a 750kg trailer is over 3.5T so needs B+E and a tacho (unless covered by an exemption such as transporting tools & materials I am personally using up to 60 miles from base).

Remember many years ago a plumber turned up on a job in an old car and the site agent implied he may as well brought his horse and wore a stetson.
Made me wonder what image is portrayed when a tradesman turns up in the family car.
Mind you, seen loads since so I guess it doesn't really matter if you turn up on a bike as long as the job is done well?

my van is 3500kg if fully loaded. it has a warning sticker saying a tacho may be required with a trailer.
..........unless covered by an exemption such as transporting tools & materials I am personally using up to 60 miles from base).
My matching car and trailer were classic Minis, so you'd struggle to get anywhere near 3.5 tonne, unless loaded with concrete blocks or similar.
The car I used for the majority of my career had an unladen weight of 1300kg, so again, I would have to be carrying building materials, rather than electrical or plumbing stuff to get anywhere near the limit. 3500kg all up would have also exceeded the towing limit of the car as well, not that I worried too much about tht detail.
These cars have always been stripped out to just the driver's seat, and a large flat load area fitted where the rear seats should be.
The car I've used in recent years (BMW 5 series touring) is not stripped out, but has a massive load space anyway. It has an unladen weight of 1700kg and a towing limit of 2200kg, so easy to go over 3500kg with that, but my licence is pre '97, so 8250kg limit anyway.

The car I've used in recent years (BMW 5 series touring) is not stripped out, but has a massive load space anyway. It has an unladen weight of 1700kg and a towing limit of 2200kg, so easy to go over 3500kg with that, but my licence is pre '97, so 8250kg limit anyway.
And over 3500kg you would need a tachograph fitted when used for business

Reply to Car Suggestions - Pipe Carriers, Ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock