Discuss Car Suggestions - Pipe Carriers, Ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

This covers 99.9% of my activities.

Mine too. Used to be a bit awkward occasionally when I towed with a car before they doubled it from 50km to 100km, but now I can get my kit for most jobs in the truck I don't care so much.

What I do care about is the derv bill, that's not so clever.

All my car's run on the only truly green fuel. LPG.
And where does LPG come from that makes it green, ISTR that LPG was introduced and used as a cheaper alternative to petrol in large engined vehicles
Hydrogen is the only really green fuel the problem is in some methods of it's production that are not so green

LPG is produced as one of the products from refining crude oil. The amount inevitably produced far exceeds its demand, so the excess is flared off.
The exhaust of my cars consists mostly of water and CO2 (I can work in my unventilated workshop with the engine running with no danger of harm).
If the CO2 wasn't coming from my exhaust, as a result of me consuming some of this excess product, then the same amount of CO2 would be coming from a flare stack somewhere.
My car qualifies in the lowest pollution category of the French Crit'aire scheme (1), apart from that awarded to pure electric vehicles (0).

LPG is produced as one of the products from refining crude oil. The amount inevitably produced far exceeds its demand, so the excess is flared off.
The exhaust of my cars consists mostly of water and CO2 (I can work in my unventilated workshop with the engine running with no danger of harm).
If the CO2 wasn't coming from my exhaust, as a result of me consuming some of this excess product, then the same amount of CO2 would be coming from a flare stack somewhere.
My car qualifies in the lowest pollution category of the French Crit'aire scheme (1), apart from that awarded to pure electric vehicles (0).
So it produces a gas whose emission levels we are trying to reduce in order to be green, just shows how stupid the French are when it comes to pollution

With regard to working in an unventilated workshop with the engine running it will deplete the ambient oxygen levels which would result in an incomplete burn and LPG does produce carbon monoxide which can kill

Once the oil is out of the ground, to keep all your petrol and derv vehicles going, the CO2 from the LPG fraction will be going into the atmosphere regardless, whether it is from the top of a flare stack, or from my tail pipe.
My workshop is about 1000 cubic metres, and is far from hermitically sealed. Plenty of oxygen for me ans a whole tank of LPG.
It's not just the French, BTW. I could apply for a similar exemption certificate in many European countries. AFAIK, it's only the UK that won't.

What is the service interval? Everything I've seen says 12,000 miles but that seems low
I wouldn't go much above 12,000 miles for any oil, whatever the fuel. At that kind of mileage the oil will be degrading because of the mechanical 'chopping' effect on the long chain oil molecules. There's a difference between what's best for an engine, and what's best for sales when you're selling to fleet managers, who will be typically selling the vehicles on after two years.
What you won't have is anything like the amount of contaminants in the oil, since you don't have LPG condensing out of the mixture in a cold engine and contaminating the oil, unlike petrol, or anything like the amount of acids formed in the combustion process that end up in the oil.
It can be seen when you change the oil. That from an LPG engine often retains some of the golden colour of what you put in.

I wouldn't go much above 12,000 miles for any oil, whatever the fuel. At that kind of mileage the oil will be degrading because of the mechanical 'chopping' effect on the long chain oil molecules. There's a difference between what's best for an engine, and what's best for sales when you're selling to fleet managers, who will be typically selling the vehicles on after two years.
What you won't have is anything like the amount of contaminants in the oil, since you don't have LPG condensing out of the mixture in a cold engine and contaminating the oil, unlike petrol, or anything like the amount of acids formed in the combustion process that end up in the oil.
It can be seen when you change the oil. That from an LPG engine often retains some of the golden colour of what you put in.
I never considered the oil going bad. I drive around 65,000 miles a year in work and have overnight servicing every 25,000. I couldn't imagine taking it to the garage 5+ times a year but for home use the LPG sounds brilliant.

but the conversion to lpg is ££££££s. i jsu t used to have Esso tanker following me.

Cost of converting my current 5 series was £1800, but the trick is to let the previous owner pay it. Converted vehicles don't carry much of a price premium in the UK.
Alternatively, buy a suitable damaged or otherwise expired ready converted vehicle, strip the kit out, and fit in to a vehicle of your choice.

I've had a couple of LPG vehicles over the years. One a factory installation, which came cheap due to a gas leak and the other converted by its previous owner.

Liked them a lot and would buy another if they were more readily available. I've no interest in having one converted, so just bought diesels since.

Reply to Car Suggestions - Pipe Carriers, Ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net