Discuss Caravan on site in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Builders using caravan for site office on a house renovation… he uses every where just plugs it into a Rcd socket.
My thoughts are special location should apply… you can imagine the abuse to come.

There is a prohibition on TN-C-S use on building sites and caravans, so yes that is potentially risky. But having seen the condition of cables and connectors on a few sites recently I think the open PEN fault is probably low down on the likely risks :(

At least they are using a RCD, thankful for small mercies!

There is a prohibition on TN-C-S use on building sites and caravans, so yes that is potentially risky. But having seen the condition of cables and connectors on a few sites recently I think the open PEN fault is probably low down on the likely risks :(

At least they are using a RCD, thankful for small mercies!
How true I’m just going write a report & recommendations it’s paperwork to maybe wipe your backside with…it’s a sorry state of affairs out there??

As far as I am aware there is no prohibition for the use of TN-C-S on a construction site but the requirements for its use would be very difficult to maintain.

Builders using caravan for site office on a house renovation… he uses every where just plugs it into a Rcd socket.
My thoughts are special location should apply… you can imagine the abuse to come.
Section 704 construction sites:
"This section does not apply to installations in administrative locations of construction sites (e.g. offices, cloakrooms, meeting rooms, canteens, restaurants, dormitories, toilets), where the general requirements of Parts 1 to 6 apply."

Section 708 caravan/ camping parks does not apply.

Section 717 Mobile or Transportable Units could be interpreted as applying (examples of units include workshops, offices etc.)
If so, then, 717.411.4 would apply:
"TN system- a PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for an installation falling within the scope of this section except where:
1. The installation is under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person, competent in such work, and
2. The suitability and effectiveness of the means of earthing has been confirmed before the connection is made."

Section 721 concerns itself with the requirements mainly for inside the caravan, except to say that the connection to the caravan shall be by a BS EN 60309-2 plug.

As far as I am aware there is no prohibition for the use of TN-C-S on a construction site but the requirements for its use would be very difficult to maintain.
704.411.3.1 applies:
"A PME earthing facility shall not be used for the means of earthing for an installation falling within the scope of this section unless all extraneous-conductive-parts are reliably connected to the main earthing terminal in accordance with Regulation 411.3.1.2" (which refers to protective equipotential bonding).

So, as you say, not prohibited but may not be practicable, as the installation of services may be an ongoing process throughout the building construction.

Section 717 Mobile or Transportable Units could be interpreted as applying (examples of units include workshops, offices etc.)
I thought that too but scope for that section does explicitly mention excluding caravans…without concern for their actual use.

I was also musing that a lot of people plug their caravan in on the drive via a 16a to 3 pin adapter to trickle charge the leisure battery. Does that make their drive a special location?
I don’t think it does.

I thought that too but scope for that section does explicitly mention excluding caravans…without concern for their actual use.

I was also musing that a lot of people plug their caravan in on the drive via a 16a to 3 pin adapter to trickle charge the leisure battery. Does that make their drive a special location?
I don’t think it does.
There are loads of people that use their touring caravan as an extra room or as an office plugged into a TNC-S house supply.
Come to think of it, my own son has spent the last eighteen months (left home when my wife began 'shielding') living in my touring caravan, outside my daughter's house, which is TNC-S.

Section 704 construction sites:
"This section does not apply to installations in administrative locations of construction sites (e.g. offices, cloakrooms, meeting rooms, canteens, restaurants, dormitories, toilets), where the general requirements of Parts 1 to 6 apply."

Section 708 caravan/ camping parks does not apply.

If so, then, 717.411.4 would apply:
"TN system- a PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for an installation falling within the scope of this section except where:
1. The installation is under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person, competent in such work, and
2. The suitability and effectiveness of the means of earthing has been confirmed before the connection is made."

Section 721 concerns itself with the requirements mainly for inside the caravan, except to say that the connection to the caravan shall be by a BS EN 60309-2 plug.
Thanks so no real problem

Reply to Caravan on site in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock