Discuss Career and qualification advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I've competed an level 2 and 3 in electrical installations ran by city and guilds I'm a mature student and looking to get the right path into the industry. If I complete an Am2 course will this get me my jib card I've looked it up and basically the am2 covers everything that would be required for an NVQ3 qual so hoping I can just get this am2 done and go from there Just looking for advice please

Have you got any practical experience yet or at all?
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Hi thanks for the replies

Casper Lennon....as a mature student I was under the understanding I didn't need an NVQ 3

RRPA07 - Hi thanks for the welcome.
Yes I have a couple of years experience. I'm starting a new role for a fire alarm company, basically they want me to train to become a commissioning engineer. He wants to get me an ecs card but I've read that the 2365 C&G cert I have isn't recognised.

I have my 18th edition and have seen there's another route via the mature applicant route. But I'm wondering if it's just as simple as paying to get the am2 cert

This is a bit of a pi"" off changing the qualies all the time. The course I did to level 3 is now off the books and is no longer recognised as C&G have withdrawn it. You hear this a lot from the older 2330 and onward. So what happens then one minute you are an electrician having passed the exams required for the latest exam de jour, next minute you are not??? FFS! I wish they would make their mind up and keep a stable and simple accessible easy to understand exam/course that qualifies you as a spark so we all know where the hell we are at. Can it be that difficult. Ok rant over.

Two options:
1- Mature candidate route, you will have to provide site-based evidence. An assessor will have to come out and visit you on a site and check out your work. And your AM2.
2- You say you need an ECS card .With your current papers you can get an Electrical Labourer ECS card. However some sites may be funny about letting you on with this card.

Thanks sparky and George.

I'm at uni doing my HNC in Electrical and electronic engineering I'll have that done by May. This company said I can do work around my course until I finish hnc

I don't need any electrical quals for this job as they said they'd put me through my fire alarm commissioning and maintenance courses which are recognised by jib. Suppose I'll just have to get the electrical labourer card till I get some more quals

To the OP the answer to your question is no you will not gain a JIB approved electrician by just completing the AM2 exam you will need to complete your NVQ 3 portfolio which will require an NVQ assessor that you register with to sign off certain aspects of work you do i.e on a commercial site incorporating containment work and other aspects of the installation work our trade incorporates. If im correct you will also need to show you have carried out the work yourself by them visiting you onsite and observing you undertaking the work.

Reply to Career and qualification advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock