Discuss Career Aspirations or Maybe Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ever since I was little, I've wanted to be an electrician. Today, I want the same thing, but I've made some educational moves that might be counterproductive to the field. Let me explain:

I am a US Navy Veteran. I was an aviation electronics technician. The thing is my stint lasted one year due to medical reasons (now stabilized). I am just wondering if there is any translation or benefit to becoming an electrician with electronics knowledge. If not, that's honestly ok.

I have an AAS in electronics technology, and the IBEW wants to test me to see if my aptitude is up to snuff. I was told that electronics isn't all that useful. In some ways I don't mind, but feel it'd be beneficial in an industrial setting (PLCs and sensors). I like electricity pure and simple. From the grid supplying homes with power to handheld devices.

I'm not too worried about the physical demands of the job, being as I work out and do manual labor at a factory. Granted I am 35, I look like I am in my 20's (I'm healthy). I want to use my brain and body on the job, if that makes sense.

Another reason is that I cannot find electronics jobs in rural America. I just bought a home and moving isn't in the foreseeable future. There are electronics assembly, and wire harness-type jobs, but they aren't quite what I am looking for. There is a much larger demand for electricians in my area.

I've done light electrical work in my mobile home. Nothing super fancy.

I make about $18/hr right now and the apprenticeship pays more than that starting. I won't even regress in pay.

I really want to do it. I'm just unsure if it's worth it or I'm wasting the IBEW's time...

All I need is my SS card, and a time to take the test. If I pass, I'm in.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance for the time and energy.

With your electronics knowledge it would be a valuable move to become a fully-fledged spark, especially with the demand for electricians in your area.

Reply to Career Aspirations or Maybe Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net