Discuss Changing light fixtures (wiring mess) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

asweby

Afternoon all,

First time poster, hope this is the right place, looking for some advice.

I’ve removed a three bulb light from a bedroom ceiling and revealed a mess of wires protruding from the ceiling. I’ve got two white wires, each with a black, red and earth wire exiting, and two grey wires, one with two red and an earth exiting and one with a blue, brown and earth exiting.

There’s only one light switch in the room and I just want to install a bog standard one bulb ceiling rose, which I’ve installed a few times before.

I can make sense of the attaching the ceiling rose but I’m wondering about all the superfluous wires and what to do with them.

I’ve read about capping them off, tracing back the wires to the source etc, and I’m looking for the most straightforward process for a relative layman.

Any advice would be appreciated.

D0E06452-342B-4CCE-8A6A-3B91B64B2425.jpeg

Reds of the white cables along with one red from the grey cable to the loop terminal of the rose. The blacks into the neutral and the other red of the grey cable to the live terminal. Brown of the new cable also goes to the loop terminal and blue to the neutral, I am making an assumption with this cable. Earths sleeved and to the earth terminal.

No offence, but just pay for an hours work by someone qualified. If you've previously installed ceiling roses you should be able to sort out the basic wiring but testing is required to be certain.

Thank you Wilko, I was just being a bit facetious as the tennis is crap!
Frankly, I like the old white sheathed t&e, and the twin red stuff. Got a couple of drums in my garage if anyone wants it, FOC.

One of the reds from the grey cable to L. All other reds to the Loop including the brown wire. Blacks including the blue to N. The bare copper wires to the stand alone terminal with green/yellow sleeving fitted. The only downside is that ceiling roses are designed for three cables, you have an additional one which means one terminal at the Loop and one at the N will have two wires connected.

One of the reds from the grey cable to L. All other reds to the Loop including the brown wire. Blacks including the blue to N. The bare copper wires to the stand alone terminal with green/yellow sleeving fitted. The only downside is that ceiling roses are designed for three cables, you have an additional one which means one terminal at the Loop and one at the N will have two wires connected.
….therefore could be a bit tight, if you're not used to it.

I am guessing they are 1.0 as the conductors look the same size as the cpcs so might not be too bad.

I doubt if the spark that used the twin red and earth on the install would imagine that he’d make a DIY’rs answer so much easier for the forum members.
Always with @PEG s advice of getting an electrician in for an hour if it gets out of hand.

All in and secure.

Not all the earths fit in to the standalone terminal but they are all twisted together and taped with electrical tape. Is that going to be a problem?

This is the 4th ceiling rose I've installed, but ipf has put the fear in me given that this is in my unborn child’s nursery.

image.jpg

All in and secure.

Not all the earths fit in to the standalone terminal but they are all twisted together and taped with electrical tape. Is that going to be a problem?

This is the 4th ceiling rose I've installed, but ipf has put the fear in me given that this is in my unborn child’s nursery.

View attachment 43313
That's nearly as much a mess as it was previously.
Just because it works, doesn't mean it's correct.
Advise you get someone in.

The connections are not great and the cables should enter the rose. Poor connections can have consequences so professional help is required, an hour's work max and peace of mind.

….not to mention the rose not being fixed prior to connection. Fixing would, almost certainly, result in cable and termination damage.

Have you connect the earth cable from the brown and blue cable to the earth terminal? , as others have said you should of secured the light fitting to the ceiling before connecting it up.

Reply to Changing light fixtures (wiring mess) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net