Discuss Changing plastic light switches to metal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello! Complete novice here. I'm changing a plastic light switch to a metal one. There's a metal back box. I intend to run the earth cable from the wall into the back of the light switch faceplate. Then run another earth cable from the faceplate to the back box. Is it as simple as screwing in the 2 earth cables into the same terminal on the faceplate? Should they be screwed in on top of eachother or next to eachother? I don't want to kill my family, so thanks for your advice!

Hello! Complete novice here. I'm changing a plastic light switch to a metal one. There's a metal back box. I intend to run the earth cable from the wall into the back of the light switch faceplate. Then run another earth cable from the faceplate to the back box. Is it as simple as screwing in the 2 earth cables into the same terminal on the faceplate? Should they be screwed in on top of eachother or next to eachother? I don't want to kill my family, so thanks for your advice!

Welcome to the forum mate.
Isn't the back box already earthed?
I usually go from wall to back box. Then from back box to face plate.
Some will say that the face plate doesn't need an earth wire as long as the back box is earthed and one of the screw fixing for the face plate is fixed. I see no harm in adding one though.
Sleeve all earths wires.

If you are adding metal front plates the earth must go to the front plate earth terminal. Whilst it is acceptable to earth the back box via the front plate fixing screws you cannot just connect the earth to the back box and rely on the fixing screws to earth the front plate. There is no harm in affixing an earth to both points though.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Isn't the back box already earthed?
I usually go from wall to back box. Then from back box to face plate.
Some will say that the face plate doesn't need an earth wire as long as the back box is earthed and one of the screw fixing for the face plate is fixed. I see no harm in adding one though.
Sleeve all earths wires.
faceplate must be earthed, backbox is optional.

Cheers for your responses chaps, very much appreciated. I know it's best practice to also earth the back box, but assuming nobody is going to inadvertently remove the faceplate without turning off the power, is it reaaaaaaally necessary?

Reply to Changing plastic light switches to metal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net