Discuss City & Guilds 2365 Level 2&3 Diploma for a career changer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I know that numerous people have probably asked this sort of question, but I just need some clarification for my circumstance.

I’m looking at a career change into becoming an electrician down the line..

I’m 27 years old with no electrical work experience background.

The only way I can see for adults to go about things is to sign onto a C&G 2365 Level 2&3 diploma. Firstly is this the right move to make from scratch? And what sort of price should I be looking at for these courses? I’ve seen some ridiculous prices nearing 7.5k, is that the going price?!

And finally where would I stand after completing those courses? Would I stand any chance of employment as a mate?

Thanks all

IMO, I would look at labouring/apprenticeship types of work for a company. Preferably, a company that is prepared to train its staff via training brokers such as JTL.
The money, for the first 6 months or so will be abysmal, that is minimum wages, but after that probabtionary period most companys will want you trained.
You can, of course, go the 5DW route but you're likely to get shafted by those MGBs waiting to empty your bank account with no credibility and experience at the end.
To work as an electrician you must have hands on experience!

Try your local college. Most colleges will do the 2365 courses part-time in the evening and a quarter of the price of a training centre.

I

You need contacts, that's some form of network. At college there will be others who are in the same boat as yourself. Start contacting local electrical firms as a start.
Remember, not to get put off by ruff as badgers arses answering the phones. eg I'm interested in your serveyors job, reply was who the f*** are you? I could hear his wife in the backgrounf telling him off saying you can't speak to people like that.
Remember there is no access to the officers mess for at least 5 years when you go down this route !
Good luck.......

Id say look at the apprenticeship route. wages will be $$$$ for the first year which is hard but then it goes up. You will also gain valuable experience going down this route.

The problem with the C&G 2365 L2 & L3 route is when you've them you will still have no experience so will be in the same position with trying to get your foot in the door with a company.

you will get lots of knock backs when applying just dont give up.

All the best

Thanks for the replies guys. If I was to finish 2365 lvl 2&3 and still couldn’t find relevant employment, what would be the next course or 2 to take? Thanks

If you go down the C&G 2365 route then the next step is to complete the NVQ Level 3 portfolio but you need to be working in the trade to do this. After that then you would do the AM2 exam.

Getting your first job in the trade is always harder. You see people offering free labour in exchange for experience or to get certain jobs for their NVQ portfolio.

Once you've got your diploma, nvq 3 & am2 you are qualified & can apply for your jib gold card.

Other courses to look at would be 2391-52 testing & inspection & periodic inspection.

maybe pv, ev etc

Thank you for the responses Loki they’ve been helpful. Can I just clarify though, so is it a requirement to have the C&G 2365 lvl2&3 to do the NVQ Level 3? If I was to miraculously find an electrician to take me on at this point as an apprentice, would they just put me straight onto the nvq, skipping the C&G?

the diploma ie 2365 is the theory & practicals. the nvq is your portfolio showing you doing the jobs proving your competent, am2 is your final exam stage

I went down this route about 5 yrs ago now, Did my 17th ed first followed by 2365 2/3, then begged a job with a local firm for about £90 a day for 6 months. Then a stint with a larger company for a couple of years doing mainly domestics on a reasonable salary where i learnt most of my testing and fault finding skills. Moved to london to work on industrial projects to complete my NVQ units a year or so ago and before long i was regarded as an improver on better wages (basically doing an electricians job most of the time). Tommorow i'm sitting my AM2 and will hopefully be all finished before the end of the year. It's a long and expensive route, but possible so stick at it.

I've just completed the same l2 and L3 diploma in electrical installations. After loads of knock backs I've just been given a start for a fire safety company. I was panicking when I went for my ECS card as I wasn't 'qualified' for jib but. Jib is one of them funny company's, my boss wasn't bothered. I got an electrical labourer card but I didn't need any other electrical quals as they were wanting to put me through all the fire safety courses etc

Moral of the story is just get your head down and get your quals then just keep applying for jobs. Someone will take you on, some companies prefer mature applicant's as opposed to younger lads

I'm in exactly the same boat... i'm 27, currently doing the 2365 level 2 and starting level 3 next month. nervous myself that after investing nearly 6 grand into getting those quals I still won't be able to find work to do the NVQ side :fearscream:

It's nice to hear the positive replies from people that have gone down this route and made it work, so thanks guys.

Quick question though, will I need to do the 18th edition before getting a job as a labourer/mate? And at what point should I be looking at doing the 2391 Inspection and Testing?

Plus you guys have mentioned doing an apprenticeship as an alternate route, but I literally can't find any company offering electrical installation apprenticeships to people our age.
Where might I find one?

Reply to City & Guilds 2365 Level 2&3 Diploma for a career changer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net