Discuss Cloth covered tails advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kropaske

-
Arms
Reaction score
Been asked to price CU change but i am concern about tails between cut out and meter.
I'ts top floor maisonette and main cut out is in the cupboard downstairs by the front door. From there cloth covered tails run in metal conduit(which is used as main earth) approx 10 meters to the cupboard in the flat and terminate in service connector. From there double insulated tails to meter and consumer unit. Electricity supplier fit smart meter and put some sleeving over the tails at both ends.
I would estimate that those tails are at least 60+ years old.
Am i right in thinking that they should be replaced, and electricity supplier should be responsible for that?
Anyone had any experience with similar case?

Been asked to price CU change but i am concern about tails between cut out and meter.
I'ts top floor maisonette and main cut out is in the cupboard downstairs by the front door. From there cloth covered tails run in metal conduit(which is used as main earth) approx 10 meters to the cupboard in the flat and terminate in service connector. From there double insulated tails to meter and consumer unit. Electricity supplier fit smart meter and put some sleeving over the tails at both ends.
I would estimate that those tails are at least 60+ years old.
Am i right in thinking that they should be replaced, and electricity supplier should be responsible for that?
Anyone had any experience with similar case?
is this a sub board ? any pics .

The tails belong to the Energy Supplier, who has just fitted the Smart Meter.
If they thought they needed changing or were in a condition not for continued use, they SHOULD have aborted the Meter change.
Just corrected that for you.... but you're right.
They're 'expert' meter changers and need to get as many done in as shorter time as is possible. He sleeved them so he must have considered their condition....mustn't he?

Typical of a 50s/60s one up one down supply. Technically as others have said the energy supplier is responsible for meter tails, but no way would they try and pull through that conduit, its just way above their remit.
It might be worth contacting the local DNO first to see they say, remember with that set up I would say the contractor when the maisonettes were built provided that conduit etc up to the top floor, in which case makes it the property of the BNO.

If the cut out would be next to the meter those tails would have been changed no questions ask. He probably got chills just thinking about pulling 25mm tails through that conduit.

notify the electric supplier, it is their responsibility. and get them to fit a service isolator while they are at it.

that was my initial thought and ask for replacement or written safety raport

It’s good that you can’t open the consumer unit now, get them back.

Yeah that's how thoughtful they are. I had to remove this from the wall to get to CU, luckly he only used 1 screw - must been in a rush

Reply to Cloth covered tails advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock