Discuss Commando Socket Cable Size in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I Don't Touch Industrial / Commercial Electrics As I've Never Worked On The Stuff! … I Have Asked A Electrician That Does Work In This Sector (Of Who I've Never Used Before) To Wire In 2x Commando Sockets For A Customer I Have... My Question Is Are The Cable Sizes / Breakers Adequate For What's Being Installed As This Area Of Work Is Not My Forte....

1 x 16Amp 230V Single Phase 3P Commando Socket With A Cable Run (In Tray Suspended) Of 35M (He's Feeding In 4mm 3 Core SWA With A 16A MCB Type C) Coming From A 230 Volts DB

1 x 63Amp 415V Three-Phase 5P Commando Socket With A Cable Run (In Tray Suspended) Of 55M (He's Feeding In 16mm 5 Core SWA With A 63A Triple Pole MCB Type C) Coming From A 415 Volts DB

Your Views On This Would Be Much Appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Spoon

Wasn't sure on the 16A single phase commando as to him putting in a 2.5mm2 SWA rather than 4mm2 SWA
2.5mm2 armoured on tray is good for up to 26A.
10mm2 armoured on tray is good for only up to 62A.
Will any of the cable routes be through walls?
Perhaps the runs are quite long and the 4mm2 has been chosen to allow for volt drop?

Hi Spoon

Wasn't sure on the 16A single phase commando as to him putting in a 2.5mm2 SWA rather than 4mm2 SWA

Could ask him why not 2.5mm. See what he says.

Future proofing?
So if a different price of equipment is used later on.... change the 16A to a 32, upgrade the breaker... cable won’t have to be replaced as well

Could be to meet loop impedance target perhaps, do you know the Ze?

Relying on reference method as described.

2.5mm would have been close on VD so 4mm probably not a bad shout.

10mm should have been ample for the the 63A.

But as always it's best to ask the guy who did the job, there may be a reason for his choices that you, and therefore we, are not aware of.

Perhaps he’s been reading appendix 17 and sized them on heat losses and efficiency.
Or maybe I’m being a tad optimistic :)
Perhaps you should trust your electrician maybe?

Last edited:
Agree with the above, outside designers/consultants always state the 90 degree ccc of swa cables in their design in
my experience and they don’t like being pointed out that they are incorrect by a lowly electrical installer

Bet the online calculator was using 90deg not 70deg...as normal!
Does beg the question, whats the point in 90deg XLPE, if you cant take advantage of the higher ccc as nobody appears to make accessories compatible with 90deg conductor temps!

We used to use them. But the equipment was rated for the 90deg cable. Schneider stuff.

I'd say he has probably done his calcs and 16mm suits the 63a for me, 4mm could be for long run? If trust the man on the job to make the right decisions so i would say he probably has

I'd say he has probably done his calcs and 16mm suits the 63a for me, 4mm could be for long run? If trust the man on the job to make the right decisions so i would say he probably has

Reply to Commando Socket Cable Size in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock