Discuss Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Jackso,
Can you advise what the current practical entails? Is there anything I can practice for i.e. are the glands still putty or are they now resin?

Wouldn't mind bashing a few out before going as I don't do much of it at the moment.
Cheers,
Dan
Hi Dan, my advice depends upon which Compex course, the five day or the two day refresher, barrier gland always used resin, barrier gland not required for the refresher, let me know which course and I will provide further advice. Regards, CJ

Hi CJ,

Will be taking 01-04. From other guys I know, they said they had to use putty (was a few years back when they did it though) - I would've expected resin as it's obviously better. Haven't made either off for years.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi CJ,

Will be taking 01-04. From other guys I know, they said they had to use putty (was a few years back when they did it though) - I would've expected resin as it's obviously better. Haven't made either off for years.

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan, Ex01 and EX03 Electrical and instrument installations, I recommend practice at terminating SWA and braided cables, and the barrier gland if you can. Ex02 and Ex04 Electrical and instrument inspections, pay particular attention to the fault codes, they must be accurate and specific to the fault identified. You could identify all of the faults but still fail the assessment if the codes for the visual, close and detailed faults are incorrect. You can find the fault codes in the Toolbox guide EEMUA Publication 214 Edition 7, that is provided on the 5 day Compex course. Revise methods of protection, zones, and equivalent ATEX Categories and international Equipment protection levels, all in the toolbox guide, Regards, CJ.

Hi, if anyone requires advice with regard to the Compex training and Compex refresher training courses, I am here to help. (Compex Training instructor / Assessor).
Hi Jack,

i desperatly need any help you can offer towards the compex 1-4 course

i am going to be taking the course in the next month or so i havent got a definite date because its in the hands of my employer so I'm just trying to get ahead as i know its tough

thank you

Hi Jack,

i desperatly need any help you can offer towards the compex 1-4 course

i am going to be taking the course in the next month or so i havent got a definite date because its in the hands of my employer so I'm just trying to get ahead as i know its tough

thank you

Hi Adam, yes this is a tough course, pre-learning study will help immensely. You should have previous experience in terminating steel wire armoured and braided cables. There is a lot of information online if you search manufactures websites, such as HAWKE or PERRERL AND FUCHS, a general search on hazardous areas will provide a lot of information.
I recommend purchasing the following handbook, Hazardous Areas For Technicians, ISBN 978-1-912014-95-8 available from Amazon priced at £14.50, comprehensive guide written by a very experienced Compex training instructor/assessor Ian Staff, this handbook covers all aspects of the Compex course, Regards, CJ

Hi Adam, yes this is a tough course, pre-learning study will help immensely. You should have previous experience in terminating steel wire armoured and braided cables. There is a lot of information online if you search manufactures websites, such as HAWKE or PERRERL AND FUCHS, a general search on hazardous areas will provide a lot of information.
I recommend purchasing the following handbook, Hazardous Areas For Technicians, ISBN 978-1-912014-95-8 available from Amazon priced at £14.50, comprehensive guide written by a very experienced Compex training instructor/assessor Ian Staff, this handbook covers all aspects of the Compex course, Regards, CJ
Hi

loverly thank you

yeah i ordered that book, it came today so ill use that to get a good understanding hopefully

i have experience already working with compex fittings and glands but don't know much of the theory behind it etc.

i'll check out the manufactures websites too

in the mean time if there is anymore info people can point me towards it will be greatly appreciated

thank you
adam

Hi

loverly thank you

yeah i ordered that book, it came today so ill use that to get a good understanding hopefully

i have experience already working with compex fittings and glands but don't know much of the theory behind it etc.

i'll check out the manufactures websites too

in the mean time if there is anymore info people can point me towards it will be greatly appreciated

thank you
adam
Hi Adam, the handbook will provide all of the theory that you will need for the 5 day Compex course, regards, CJ

Hi Chaps.
Could anybody give an indication of the cable installation part of the refresher?
I presume its the termination of SWA & a braided cable-does it include the use of a barrier gland?

Thanks.

Hi Chaps.
Could anybody give an indication of the cable installation part of the refresher?
I presume its the termination of SWA & a braided cable-does it include the use of a barrier gland?

Thanks.
Hi, andybrock, compex centres may select either SWA or Braided cable. There is only one cable to install, on EX01R, between metal EEXe junction box 1 and the restricted breathing bulkhead light fitting, barrier gland not requires, Exd, E1WF, Exe, or universal d/e certified gland are suitable. If you send me your e-mail to [email protected] then I can send you my guidance handouts for Ex01R-Ex03R the online exercise that a lot of candidates have failed, regards, CJ
[automerge]1594321408[/automerge]
Just finished presenting a five day Compex course, which was fully booked up. The compex refresher next week is also fully booked, but we do have limited availability for both courses in August 2020. If you are interested contact HETA, Humberside Training association at our training centre in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire.

Hi, andybrock, compex centres may select either SWA or Braided cable. There is only one cable to install, on EX01R, between metal EEXe junction box 1 and the restricted breathing bulkhead light fitting, barrier gland not requires, Exd, E1WF, Exe, or universal d/e certified gland are suitable. If you send me your e-mail to [email protected] then I can send you my guidance handouts for Ex01R-Ex03R the online exercise that a lot of candidates have failed, regards, CJ
[automerge]1594321408[/automerge]
Just finished presenting a five day Compex course, which was fully booked up. The compex refresher next week is also fully booked, but we do have limited availability for both courses in August 2020. If you are interested contact HETA, Humberside Training association at our training centre in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire.
bit off topic but i can't seem to PM due to profile settings but; what books would you recommend if a person was interested in CompEx? I've got the Hazardous Areas for Technicians book by Ian Staff (ISBN:978-1-912014-95-8)

Hi, if anyone requires advice with regard to the Compex training and Compex refresher training courses, I am here to help. (Compex Training instructor / Assessor).
I want to do compex training.Having experience in electrical field in manufacturing,construction and hospitality industry,am i eligible?

bit off topic but i can't seem to PM due to profile settings but; what books would you recommend if a person was interested in CompEx? I've got the Hazardous Areas for Technicians book by Ian Staff (ISBN:978-1-912014-95-8)
Hi Lister 1987, the Hazardous Areas book by Ian Staff, is very, very good, and you wont find anything better. going online, many companies such as Hawke cable glands, PEPPERL AND FUCHS provide a lot of good information, also UTUBE search with the word ATEX, and you will find a lot of useful information.

Thank you for accepting me into this group. I'm obvoiusly new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes untill I familiarise myself with the site.

I have just failed my Comp'Ex' Installation / Selection 'IS' (Ex03R) On-line resit for the 2nd time and I have absolutely no idea where I'm going wrong.
I have been Comp'Ex' certified for over 30 years and have never failed the course or refreshers up until now. I was actually reasonably confident the first time but less so the 2nd time on account of the fact that I didn't know what I'd done wrong. I'm even less confident in passing the resit on my final attempt.
I'm unable to find any on-line 'Installation / Selection' simulators or even any guidance / tips on how to pass the Ex01R & 03R units or what to look out for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't actually seem to be that much to consider when selecting IS equipment for hazardous areas other than the following:

Correct equipment for Zone (EPL / Category), Gas Group / Sub-Group (IIA,B or C) & Temperature Classification (T1-T6).
Minimum IP54 so IP washers may be required if thread depth is < 6mm
Number of cable entries when selecting enclosures.
Simple / non-certifified equipment allowed provided its listed on documentation.
Certified enclosures required only if 2 or more IS circuits are contained within otherwise can be non-certified provided they meet IP and impact requirements for area.
The correct glands, stoppers & assessories (IP washers & earth tags) most be used to suit the equipment eg Ex'd' or Ex'de' glands must be used for Ex'd' enclosures etc.
The correct glands must be used to suit the cable type (SWA / Non-SWA).

I can't really think of any other rules concerning IS equipment selection having refered to course notes and Toolbox hand book.

Is there anybody out there that has extensive knowledge on this subject 'Specifically Ex03R' or that has maybe recently completed this unit that can shine any light on my predicament or perhaps offer some guidance / tips. For those who don't know, the refresher course format has changed somewhat in the last few years - what they term 'Practicle assessments EX01R & EX03R' are actually purely PC based on-line assessments.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully reply.

I am the wrong side of 63, use to be a Compex Technician, but card ran out at the start of lockdown. I was in 2 minds whether to do it again, 1, age and 2, lack of confidence. On site I am ok, in the classroom a jibbering wreck, always have been, though quite experienced. Is there any extra tuition I can get? or do I go in feet first and have a go again? 5 day course. Anyone else been in this situation? Love the work, compared with non hazardous Industrial work and just been offered a job with Compex.

Thank you for accepting me into this group. I'm obvoiusly new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes untill I familiarise myself with the site.

I have just failed my Comp'Ex' Installation / Selection 'IS' (Ex03R) On-line resit for the 2nd time and I have absolutely no idea where I'm going wrong.
I have been Comp'Ex' certified for over 30 years and have never failed the course or refreshers up until now. I was actually reasonably confident the first time but less so the 2nd time on account of the fact that I didn't know what I'd done wrong. I'm even less confident in passing the resit on my final attempt.
I'm unable to find any on-line 'Installation / Selection' simulators or even any guidance / tips on how to pass the Ex01R & 03R units or what to look out for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't actually seem to be that much to consider when selecting IS equipment for hazardous areas other than the following:

I can't really think of any other rules concerning IS equipment selection having refered to course notes and Toolbox hand book.

Is there anybody out there that has extensive knowledge on this subject 'Specifically Ex03R' or that has maybe recently completed this unit that can shine any light on my predicament or perhaps offer some guidance / tips. For those who don't know, the refresher course format has changed somewhat in the last few years - what they term 'Practicle assessments EX01R & EX03R' are actually purely PC based on-line assessments.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully reply.
Just seen your post, the most annoying thing is the lack of clarity from JTL on their marking process and guide to where an idividual has gone wrong. An accessor shared his frustration with me, as JTL ignor any plees for change and the marking matrix, I am also led to beleive the top man in charge has no experience in this feild and sees this as a money making operation rather than a training institute. After all, we pay to be trained and directed into an acceptable level, rather than being slung the information and deal with it the best we can. Hope you have pasted now. Took me 2, 5 day courses to get mine a few years ago.

I am the wrong side of 63, use to be a Compex Technician, but card ran out at the start of lockdown. I was in 2 minds whether to do it again, 1, age and 2, lack of confidence. On site I am ok, in the classroom a jibbering wreck, always have been, though quite experienced. Is there any extra tuition I can get? or do I go in feet first and have a go again? 5 day course. Anyone else been in this situation? Love the work, compared with non hazardous Industrial work and just been offered a job with Compex.
Go for it Mickey, it will come back to you. Like riding a bike!

I've a few compex manuals I can send you if you've got Email. PM the address though so you don't get spammed!

Hi Jackso, I have started my Compex EX01 - EX04 training and i am just about to sign up for the course. When I did my electrical qualifications a while ago my employer would no let me go beyond Level 3 2330 & 2391, they said i did not need NVQ L3 as they are an inspection only business.

My question is, it looks like if I take the course I will have CSNV on my cert, will this mean I can not inspect and report on existing equipment on site?

This is really concerning me as I enjoy this job.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net