Discuss Concern re 3 Phase imbalance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re my #19: I have contradicted myself about the use of voltage to confirm Solax power output from each of its phases. Don't use a multimeter - instead look at the Solax readings for power output for each phase (probably labelled R, S and T). Be careful only to have a few low power loads on L2 and L3 - say lighting - so that the total power for L1, L2 and L3 is less than the prevailing harvest of sunshine. L1 of course is supplemented by the PowerWall.

I think you can see now why the Solax phase power outputs are unlikely to be the same - what is output depends on the single phase loads connected to L1, L2 and L3 at the time - and for L1 only the amount of energy being stored in or output from the PowerWall -, PV power input and the amount of grid power imported/exported. Similarly for the SMET energy meter.

PS: Units.... kW = Power and kWh = Energy

Last edited:
Ah yes, I am beginning to understand..........I think. Power readings across the 3 phases are determined by the load being applied at any one time to each of the phases, hence a likely imbalance.

The web portal for the inverter does give a 'Real Time Display' of AC Power for each phase. Now that it is clear that there is no fault, as I originally thought, there is no need to test the inverter under limited-load conditions. The portal has proved correct, to date, in its readings as compared with the Tesla app so that should be a reliable source of info. Does that mean we have finally reached journey's end?

DIYPete: The supplier I use does not deal with SOLAX products nor know anything about their functional niceties such as if only one, just two or all three supply phases suffer a power cut. Nor what would happen if one phase is maintained by a Power Wall.

Sometime, if you have a power cut and the energy of the sun is being harvested, you could check the power outputs of the 3 inverters in the SOLAX.

I suspect that during a power cut even if the sun is shining L1 is only energised by the Powerwall.

I'd be interested to know what happens.

Marconi

Have not forgotten your request to check inverter in outage situation. Friend standing by on our web portal when we power down but page refreshing times are somewhat slow and, although the graph showing incoming PV dips to '0' power across the phases does not change.

Will try again (friend now going out) next sunny day and let you know.

Pete

Marconi
Ref. Solax X3 Inverter - state of phases with power cut.
As requested have now tried cutting power to our inverter. A friend was logged in to our web portal at the time the power was cut. All 3 phases went down and there was no power being produced.

The web portal simply recorded - 'No information available' against 'Real Time Display' with no incoming PV showing on the graphic display.

I checked the display on the inverter and a similar story there (see att.).

Hope that helps, let me know if the inf. provided is incomplete.
Once again, thany you for your assistance.
Pete

Attachments

• Solax Inverter Readout 10 11 2020.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Concern re 3 Phase imbalance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net