Discuss Confused! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baloney

Hi, DIY'er here. Looking for some expert help as I am very confused :) One of the sockets in my living room doesnt seem to be working after I changed the socket. However when I use my voltage tester it tells me the current is live. I have checked all the connections in the socket and they seem fine. I swapped the socket over to test the old one and it still doesnt work. Even weirder when I plug in a extension lead the red light on the lead comes on, then when I plug something into the extension lead nothing happens! It worked perfectly fine before.
Any have any ideas???
Thanks!

Turn off the supply and check its dead. Then check you have connected the brown or red(old colour) conductor/s in the terminal marked L and the blue or black(old colour ) conductor/s in the terminal marked N on the socket, the earth is either usually sheathed in green&yellow or just green old colour) this needs to be connected to the terminal marked as earth usually a vertical line on top of three parallel lines each getting smaller to form like an arrow shape. Make sure all the brass terminal screws are making good contact with the copper cable (not the insulation) and are tight. Failing this I would advise getting a professional in to make sure there is no underlining problem.

I finally sorted the issue. After checking a number of other forums i was convinced there was a loose neutral wire somewhere in the circuit. I first checked what i guessed was the next socket along in the circuit and there was a neutral wire that had come loose (had some plastering done recently so there had been some movement) Anyway i tightened the wire in and now the other socket works fine :) Thanks for all your help

I finally sorted the issue. After checking a number of other forums i was convinced there was a loose neutral wire somewhere in the circuit. I first checked what i guessed was the next socket along in the circuit and there was a neutral wire that had come loose (had some plastering done recently so there had been some movement) Anyway i tightened the wire in and now the other socket works fine :) Thanks for all your help
that makes me wonder if the RFC is intact, or if the socket that was not working was just a spur.

Reply to Confused! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net