Discuss Connecting to a new Boiler HELP?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

I dont have much experiance with heating systems at all, So new to me.

Been to a job where a plumber has fitted a new boiler.

This is a link to the exact boiler and its connections... CLICK HERE http://www.biasi.co.uk/pdf/Riva_Compact_HE/USER___INSTALLATION/3505_EDITION.pdf

I Have a 5 core flex from the original programmer on the wall coming up under the boiler which needs connecting in.. Connected L,N,E up and now left with 2 black cores..

Can someone tell me which connections these 2 black cores go in please?

There is no other zone valves, no room stat, Just the bolier and programmer.. (then the valves on the rads)

Hey Sid.

By the sounds of it you have a combi boiler there. You will only need 1 of those black cores as a switched live in for your central heating.

Now I cant open your attachment but I'm guessing you will have a terminal block with L,N+E on it and another one with something like 1,2+3 or 4,5+6 on it.

Now there will be a link across two of these terminals which you will need to remove, and connect one of your blacks into it. Without seeing the diagram, I cant tell you which one other than what they are - they are external control terminals 1 will be a feed out (not needed), 1 will be the switched feed back in (this is where your black goes) and 1 will be neutral (not needed).

When you switch the boiler on you will need to test these terminals to find out which is which as you only need to connect to one of them or it should say in your diagram, every boiler is different.

The Black you will need will be connected into CH on in the timeclock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi thanks..

Thats correct, I have another terminal block as pictured, numbered 3,2,1 with a manufacture link across 3 & 1. So your saying i only need to connect 1 of my black cores into terminal, the switch feed back?

What would happen if i put both black cores into connection 3 & 1, (in replace of the link) What would happen??

Also what would happen if i got the wrong black core in the switch feed back to boiler..?? The control would do nothing i guess, have no control on the boiler if it was the wrong core connected?

Attachments

• Connecting to a new Boiler HELP?? boiler block - EletriciansForums.net
    boiler block.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 48
woh be carefull here, according to you instructions this is a volt free connection, do not connect 240 to these terminals, remove the link on the other connector block and both black wires from your programmer connect to where the link was , but first check programmer is capable of volt free operation ie, these two black wires should only make and break contact on operation of the programmer, no voltage should be present, if it is it's not compatable.

It looks to me like the programmer is built into the boiler so the external one wont be needed as its a combi.

That other connection is for a room stat if one is needed.

If there isnt one then you may need to link 1 &3 otherwise the boiler wont work.

There is no room stat, i just put the photo up to show you the terminals. The external programer on the wall wants to be used. The 2 black cores have been connected in replace of the provided link. And i assume the clock on the fron of the boiler is to be left perm on, and then just controled by the seperat programmer on the wall.. does this sound right ??

I can see now.

Chances are that the new combi has a timer in it?? so you may only need L,N+E and the boiler will do the rest.

If no timer though the black for the CH will be needed the DHW is only on demand (when a tap is opened)

Those terminals are for a roomstat connection but you will only need the switched live back in on T3 with the link removed if no internal timeclock.

Hope this helps.

No, a combi boiler does not usually have an external programmer/timer, its built in. It only has a connection for a room stat as you have shown.

Therefore, the external programmer you have at the mo is redundant.

Reading the manual it seems that it's a combi boiler with an incorporated time clock for heating.
If this is correct then it only needs a permanent supply to the terminal block, but you should connect a room stat across terminals 1&3. You could as described in the manual link 1&3 but ideally a room stat should be fitted.
If there are no existing valves or pump it would indicate that the old boiler was also a combi.

when you fold the panel back on the boiler there is one terminal block for the supply, then the other as i described and photod, 3,2,1 which is just behind the supply connections.. this has the pre link across 3 & 1.

Now on the far opposite side of the boiler there is another terminal bloack, with another pre link across 2 terminals, Im not sure but i think this is connected to the actual clock on the front of the actual boiler, From what i can remember this has 2 thin grey cores that come from the other side of this little block that dissapers somewhere.

Do you think the programmer would connect to this "Linked terminal" rather than the one nearer the supply terminal ??

I'm led to belive that connecting the programmer up is just like connecting a room stat. connect the same way?

Hi just to throw my ten penneth in - check page 34 of the installation manual in your link. It appears you dont need a permenant feed for this boiler, and as i assume the 5 core cable is existing, find which black core is from the CH side of the programmer, or in the wiring centre and connect this to L live, as per instructions - do not remove the thermostat link, i think the other link you speak of is to bypass the internal timer. As some combis are installed in the loft space you'd hardly want your elderly customers to go into the loft if they want to change the time or bypass when its cold !!!! - would you ?? - lol - hope this helps as at mo my vodka bottle is rapidly decreasing !!!

Just as an addendum to my last post - this is only evident if it is a direct controlled boiler!! - relay controlled im not sure asi have not come across one !

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me this is a combi not a system boiler.
Have done quite a few of these
The L,N,E are the supply to or from the programmer (two ways - feed to boiler then tapped off to programmer or feed to programmer then tapped off to boiler) and the two blacks are from the potential free contact controlled by the programmer,these go to (remove link)1 & 3 to start up heating.Boiler control must be put on constant.

Regards

ray

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Connecting to a new Boiler HELP?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock