Discuss Connectors behind lights & tape in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

revolt3k

Whats your thoughts when you see this behind fitting's guys

Connectors behind lights & tape {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest it looks like every light you have ever taken down. Does anybody think the new hellerman push connectors will kill the old connector block or do you reckon they are just a gimmick?

not a problem infact they are supplied with conector and when done up the conectors are in an enclosure

I think if the building fabric is being utilized as part of an enclosure then it is required to be constructed of non -combustable material......looks like in this instance part of it is a timber joist, however, yes it is a very common way of installing decorative light fitments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see a problem with this mate.A majority of fittings that you take down now will have connector block attached:cool:

Unfortunately the companies that make these lights dont think of how they are installed, they assume that the flex can be taken above the ceiling, wired into a nice junction box and thats that, either that or they have some stupid tiny connector that only takes one cable rather than the normal 3. So how about some constructive suggestions.

Unfortunately the companies that make these lights dont think of how they are installed, they assume that the flex can be taken above the ceiling, wired into a nice junction box and thats that, either that or they have some stupid tiny connector that only takes one cable rather than the normal 3. So how about some constructive suggestions.
A lot of jobs i have been to work on have a 4x4 junction box near the CU under the floor.Main feed in,feeds to each light and all switch lines back to junction box.There you go,one drop at each light:D

Hi

Tough one the installation doesn't meet the BS regs, as connector blocks in no enclosure and single skin PVC without mechanical protection, connector blocks not assessable unless you take the fitting down, no cable strain at connections and there is possibly more. But you will see this in many houses, and might not be as good as that..

Regards

yeah i will agree that nearly all light fittings of this type are fitted with connectors and do not meet some requirements but hey we only fit them and dont build/make them.

What do you recon to the insulation tape tho. I guess its for a reason of some form?

Personally if I had to do something like that I would crimp it a lot more professional and makes it more difficult for the DIYer to become the earth for the circuit:D

Chris

The JB's are obviously the best way of doing it, but you have a joist just above which will impede you getting a JB in, you could enlarge the hole to push the JB in but then this has 2 effects, 1 you have then got into making good and also if you have to take that much away you possible do not have enough for the ceiling mounting plate to be screwed against. With regard to the crimp suggestion, I agree that would be fine if you have 1 twin and earth cable coming in, but if it is 3-plated, not such a good idea. I think the tape was always installed as a means of protection should there be a spark from loose connection etc

although i would argue that if the manifacturers have suggested this type of connection the regs do give you permition to follow these just as you can install an item with no i.p ratting if suggested in litriture

The JB's are obviously the best way of doing it, but you have a joist just above which will impede you getting a JB in, you could enlarge the hole to push the JB in but then this has 2 effects, 1 you have then got into making good and also if you have to take that much away you possible do not have enough for the ceiling mounting plate to be screwed against. With regard to the crimp suggestion, I agree that would be fine if you have 1 twin and earth cable coming in, but if it is 3-plated, not such a good idea. I think the tape was always installed as a means of protection should there be a spark from loose connection etc

Agree with all of the above.........a good summing up of the practicalities of the problem :)

spark1

I came across same thing only a couple of weeks ago...
The flush fittings are a nightmare! The one ceiling we were putting the lights up to had 2 Twin Skins of Plasterboard. To me it did seem ropey! But like you guys say no different to alot of the lights I see that are fitted...we channeled out a space in the board big enough for the connector block to sit in & pushed up the fitting so that it was flush...
Just like that Pic!!! I suppose the Crimp solution would be less intrusion to ceiling & less chance of the connections coming loose from the block with all the struggle of pushing it up...

Reply to Connectors behind lights & tape in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock