Discuss Consumer unit in kitchen cupboard? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnsparks23

Hi sparks, studio flat open living area. The builder thinks the consumer would look out of place by the front entrance door (logical position). Instead he would prerer it to be located in a kitchen wall unit. New build. Any thoughts, relevant regs. thanks.

As its a new build it has to be easily accessable at about 1200mm from ffl so anyone with disabilitys can access it so if that is possible in Kitchen and it is well away from water,gas pipes (external influences ) its ok.

Cant think of anything in the regs that would stop this as it is in a cupboard however does minimum of 450mm of the floor and maximum of 1200mm of floor help as its a new build it has to be between the heights mentioned.

Chris

As its a new build it has to be easily accessable at about 1200mm from ffl so anyone with disabilitys can access it so if that is possible in Kitchen and it is well away from water,gas pipes (external influences ) its ok.
Is that just for light switches.Never heard of CU being at that height in a new build.Just changed some lights out at my sister-in-laws and the CU is in a cupboard by the front door,just below the ceiling

Did the course Feb/Mar this year informed then that all electrics sockets switches and CUs had to be between those heights for ease of access. Thats on new builds.

Chris

Did the course Feb/Mar this year informed then that all electrics sockets switches and CUs had to be between those heights for ease of access. Thats on new builds.

Chris
I don't disagree with you mate.I did my 17th in Jan and was told told about sockets and switches,450mm to bottom of sockets and 1200mm to top of switches:confused:Where in the regs is that.

No problems Mac its helpful to all learn from each other and get it right for the customer. Just looked at the Building Regs "A way of satisfying the requirement is to install switches, socket-outlets and controls throughout the dwelling in accessible positions and at a height of between 450mm and 1200mm from the finished floor level"

As CU controls the entire property it fits in, the building regs go on to state that CU must be readily accessible because of sensitivity of circuit breakers, RCDs or RCBOS.

Cant see the CU being accessible if buried in a kitchen cupboard.

John if you have the building regs with you its on page 137 perhaps you can show that to the Builder

Hope that helps everyone

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems Mac its helpful to all learn from each other and get it right for the customer. Just looked at the Building Regs "A way of satisfying the requirement is to install switches, socket-outlets and controls throughout the dwelling in accessible positions and at a height of between 450mm and 120mm from the finished floor level"

As CU controls the entire property it fits in the regs go on to state that CU must be readily accessible because of sensitivity of circuit breakers, RCDs or RCBOS.

Cant see the CU being accessible if buried in a kitchen cupboard.

Hope that helps everyone

Chris
I would see the controls as thermostats,and possibly central heating timers.Don't want to sound out of order here but you can't make a dwelling 100% disability friendly,unless it has been built to spec.Sorry mate;)

I don't disagree with you mate.I did my 17th in Jan and was told told about sockets and switches,450mm to bottom of sockets and 1200mm to top of switches:confused:Where in the regs is that.

My local BC do use part M of building regs & OSG 7.5.1 for newbuild consumer unit location, gotta be readily accessible.

As for the big book 132.12 may come into play for putting cu in a kitchen unit.

I would see the controls as thermostats,and possibly central heating timers.Don't want to sound out of order here but you can't make a dwelling 100% disability friendly,unless it has been built to spec.Sorry mate;)

hager skelly boards at waist height are one option used locally to me.
Have seen some in hallways & walk in (wheelchair width door) ground floor cupboard.

Is the supply meter installed yet?

If not, you may need to speak to the supply authority as some will not install meters in kitchens/cupboards and bedrooms, due the it being a fire risk.

They also generally, will only install the meter between the heights of 400 and 1600mm from ffl, so it cant go above the door.

hi all

i tend to put them adjacent to the meter cabinet and usually end up in the garage, problem is that theres a 6"step from house to garage....bit of a problem if your in a wheelchair :eek:. Havnt been picked up on it yet.

cheers

I dont have my On Site Gude to hand, but I read just last week that the requirement for above 450 and below 1200mm does not apply to equipment situated in Garages and Kitchens! So as long as you can REASONABLY reach the MCBs Etc. I cant se why youo wouldnt put the CU in a cupbaord? Ohh one last thing, there is a LONG thread I have read about mounting the CU. Probably best to mount it on the WALL (Fabric of the building) and cut the cabinet back out around it, rather than bang it on the cabinet. The wiring SHOULD outlast the kitchen cabs' so its likely that they will need to be replaced before the CU!

Just a thought....

Err! This thread is over 3 years old Bapsman.:19:
Welcome to the forum mate. Just check the date of the original thread before posting, as it's irritating to regular members to recover old ground. If you have a new question or information you wish to share it's best to start a new thread and refer to the old thread by adding a link for reference.

hehe, just to pick up on this, why dont all new builds have a "services" cupboard , where the gas water and electricity all come into the property at once, would make life a lot easier for bonding!!, i have seen instances where this is the case in old houses but i think it was more circumstance rather than careful planning

hehe, just to pick up on this, why dont all new builds have a "services" cupboard , where the gas water and electricity all come into the property at once, would make life a lot easier for bonding!!, i have seen instances where this is the case in old houses but i think it was more circumstance rather than careful planning

That would require the architects to use common sense,thats something that has been lacking since the second world war, therefore I cant see that idea ever being implemented

Reply to Consumer unit in kitchen cupboard? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock