Discuss Control panel regulations? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Alistair

Hi,

Are there any regulations dedicated to the build of machine control panels?
Obviously you follow BS7671 as regards cable selection etc but what about cable colours and identification.

Also are there any regulations covering PLCs?

My previous company wired all three phase black, 24v dc blue and 24v ac red. I was lead to belive that as long as the circuits are correctly identified there isn't an issue?

As far as I know there are standards but not regulations. Standards usually apply to multi core rather than singles used to loom. Proper ID is the key and in particular with regard to AC and DC as mentioned above.

Hi,

Obviously you follow BS7671 as regards cable selection etc but what about cable colours and identification.

hi there

what lucky people you all are nice colors and low voltage :D

You want to try some luverley old gas boilers big stufffy all wired in lovely black cables with no numbers glorious old black pyros everywhere

drawings were on the back of a smoke packet but all these got lost after the smoking ban :p

seriously many differnet panel manufactures keep to there own standard of control panel and the field wiring becomes a night mare.

what i am getting at is that panels come under the wiring regs gas regs fire alrm regs building regs and ever other reg you may not of heard of ie kitchen extract fans linked acroos loads of loverley safety systems.

in practice the regs are there but various panels wired in by many sparks break other regs without their knowledge

the classic is where heating plant is not connected to a fire alarm so the gas valve drops out etc. there are many more as we all know

cheers all

Hi :) 1st post virgin... I'll break myself in.

I believe machine control panels are covered by BS EN 60204.

Explaining the changes in the 2006 version of BS EN 60204-1 may provide a little info.

silva.foxx

Not sure of regs but previous company used the following

Black 3 ph (415v)
Brown 240 vac
Light blue neutral
White 42vac
Dark blue 24vdc
Red 24vac
Orange safety circuit E-stop ect normally 24vdc as well

See also BS EN 60439 ~ Low voltage switchgear & control assemblies (Tried to attach it but the zipped file is too large ~ sorry)

With regard wiring colours we as a company do use the harmonised colours Ie;
3 Phase:- Black, Brown, Grey ~ & subsequent single phase circuits adhering to their 'mother' phase.
Neutral:- Light Blue
Earth:- Green & yellow:rolleyes:
0v Reference Earth (12/24vdc):- Either Blue Sleeved at ends with Green & Yellow 0r Visa versa.

All other wires can be subject to the customers specifications unless we feel they will be detremental to regulations ie; solid green coloured cable.

White in our case is generally used for external signals (4-20mA, no volt contacts etc), Yellow is for tie-ins with other control panels on site.

As stated by others in this thread; All wires in the control panel will have core numbers (utilising ident sleeves) as well as all components having unique Identifier labels.

All site multicore cables connecting into the control cab should also have core ident numbers.

Reply to Control panel regulations? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock