Discuss convert 12v gu5.1 to mains gu10. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nittinsh

DIY
Reaction score
convert 12v gu5.1 to mains gu10. but confused why this transformer has two live wires? can someone explain.Do I need a driver or I can directly attach GU10 holder to the mains? and what should be done with second live wires?

Attachments

• convert 12v gu5.1 to mains gu10. WhatsApp Image 2022-11-03 at 4.13.41 PM - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-03 at 4.13.41 PM.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
Does it feed out to a second unit?

Downlights rarely come as a single unit, so I expect you have multiple downlights, so one of the cables will be power into the transformer, and the other cable will be power onto the next light.
Most GU10 fittings are designed to take two cables, so you should be able to connect both directly, but try to make a better job than whoever fitted the original. ALL single insulated wires (the red and the black) must be completely inside the terminal box, and the cable clamps must be on the grey sheath.
Alternatively, if the new fitting's terminal box is on the small side, as many are, you can use one of the small MF lighting junction boxes that are now available to join the two cables, and add a short flexible cable to the fitting.

Downlights rarely come as a single unit, so I expect you have multiple downlights, so one of the cables will be power into the transformer, and the other cable will be power onto the next light.
Most GU10 fittings are designed to take two cables, so you should be able to connect both directly, but try to make a better job than whoever fitted the original. ALL single insulated wires (the red and the black) must be completely inside the terminal box, and the cable clamps must be on the grey sheath.
Alternatively, if the new fitting's terminal box is on the small side, as many are, you can use one of the small MF lighting junction boxes that are now available to join the two cables, and add a short flexible cable to the fitting.
thanks seems like a lot of work

not sure but why somebody do that?

Have you got more than one downlight? If so them the other one will be daisy chained from this one. That is how it is commonly done.

thanks seems like a lot of work
Not really, this is straight forward if you know what you are doing.
My advice if you are unsure get an electrician in to do this. They can advise if there is anything unsuitable and if its just a straightforward swap out then it won't cost a lot for the peace of mind that its done safely.

Not really, this is straight forward if you know what you are doing.
My advice if you are unsure get an electrician in to do this. They can advise if there is anything unsuitable and if its just a straightforward swap out then it won't cost a lot for the peace of mind that its done safely.
I managed to change that myself thanks guys for your help.

Reply to convert 12v gu5.1 to mains gu10. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock