Discuss converting 2 lights and switches to two way in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, i have a kitchen to fit and the customer has asked me to fit 11 downlights.

it must have been a kitchen then dining room in the past as they currently they have a one way switch at either door which controls seperate pendant lights.

im not to good on two way lighting so wondering if anyone can tell me the easiest way to convert the switches to two way controling all 11 new spotlights

hope i v explained it well enough, thanks

Need to know If the existing lights are on the same circuit and if the supply is looped at the lights or the switches.

Need to know If the existing lights are on the same circuit and if the supply is looped at the lights or the switches.
Yes they are on the downstairs circuit, I’m guessing the supply is looped at each light down to the separate one way switch.
I thought I could just disconnect one of the lights and extend the other to the new Downlights?

just wondering the easiest way to convert the switches to two way?

If they are looped at the lights all you need do is remove one of the switch drop cables and replace with a three core and cpc to the other switch. You then need some joint boxes, possibly maintenance free if they are going to be inaccessible to extend to the new lights.

If they are looped at the lights all you need do is remove one of the switch drop cables and replace with a three core and cpc to the other switch. You then need some joint boxes, possibly maintenance free if they are going to be inaccessible to extend to the new lights.
Sorry what do you mean by “ remove one of the switch drop cables”?
[automerge]1579373353[/automerge]
Run a 4 core between the two switches and leave the existing 3 core switch wire to what will be the first down light?

Last edited:
why not fot 2 quinetic switches with receiver in ceiling close to 1st downkight?

This is pretty rudimentary for an electrician and your questions lead me to ask are you an electrician.
Im a kitchen fitter, who is asking for help to do the job right

i registered for part p in 2004, i think. and went to college to do my 2391 and 16/17 edition.. However i dont really work on lighting circuits , so im asking for advice,as im sure you do on other forums and matters your unsure of

Im a kitchen fitter, who is asking for help to do the job right

i registered for part p in 2004, i think. and went to college to do my 2391 and 16/17 edition.. However i dont really work on lighting circuits , so im asking for advice,as im sure you do on other forums and matters your unsure of

You've got to ask yourself sometimes if your customer would be happy with you doing work you don't know how to do. I know I wouldn't be happy if a tradesman working in my house was looking up how to do the fundamental parts of their job on the internet.

Maybe get a local electrician to help this time or with jobs you are not 100% on.

If you're still unsure after the advice given then the job is beyond your capability and you should get an electrician in. It's not fair for the customer to be paying you for doing a job for which you are not competent to do.

No shame in knowing your limits.

The forum does not give step by step guidance, #6 gives a general idea of how it should be done. As previously stated this is rudimentary for an electrician and maybe your best course of action if you cannot see how #6 helps is to seek the services of an electrician.

cheers, i hope i can be as helpful to you in the future
You have been given help unfortunately you do not understand it therefore your best course of action is an electrician.

[automerge]1579373353[/automerge]

Run a 4 core between the two switches and leave the existing 3 core switch wire to what will be the first down light?

You have written in your profile that you are an electrical engineer, but you don't know what a switch drop is, or apparently the difference between 3 core & earth cable and 4 core?

Reply to converting 2 lights and switches to two way in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock