Discuss Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tom.A

-
Reaction score
We have a working tube heater in a cupboard which we do not use. We would like to put a tumble dryer in the cupboard but there is no mains socket, as the tube heater is wired directly into mains, and controlled by a fused switch on the wall.

Is it okay to simply swap the tube heater wiring/panel (see photos) for a normal socket which we would then plug the tumble dryer into?

Photos attached.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tom

Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket IMG_2520.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket IMG_2521.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket IMG_2522 - EletriciansForums.net Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket IMG_2524.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket IMG_2526.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If the protective device at the consumer unit is adequate and if additional rcd protection is provided then yes. Don't forget replace that broken switch.

Thank you :thumbsup:

The circuit is on the RCD protected side of the fusebox.

How would one know if the protective device on the consumer unit is adequate? Can we assume so as it's a new Beko mode?

Just to clarify, when you say the tumble dryer switch is broken do you mean the wall switch labelled 'Tube heater' which is missing the plastic cover over the LED in the switch?

Thanks again,

Tom

It should be fine, although note that the tumble dryer will require the full load of 13A, whereas the tiny 55W background heater requires less than 0.25A. One would hope that the installer did not take advantage of that fixed, low current consumption to install the cable with heavy derating factors, that will cause it to overheat when presented with a 13A load. Unlikely but just worth a mention.

Who cares? Why would he want the socket up at light switch height? (And probably outside this cupboard). Putting it where the flex outlet used to be is spot on.

But he does not need a FCU, nor a switch there. Join the cables inside and put a blanking plate on.

I would just change both to single switched sockets the H/L socket could be used for charging hoover etc. test and relabel the consumer unit.

But you didn't take the advice did you? That FCU is not necessary as the tumble dryer plug has a fuse.
Hi George, rsgaz is correct - the FCU is outside of the cupboard and about chest height - so I was not going to follow your advice to replace that with a socket and pull out the wire to the lower plate. I appreciate your advice there and am aware that you could not have known the full set up/positioning. In terms of just connecting the wires internally and putting a blanking plate on, I appreciate that would have worked, however by keeping the FCU I've the option to refit the tube heater back in years to come and I also feel the switch looks neater in our corridor. But thanks for the alternate options. The tumble dryer works, it all looks neat and tidy, and I've learnt more about electrics than I previously knew so I feel a good result. Again thank you all for your help here :thumbsup:

Reply to Converting Tube Heater Socket into Mains Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock