Discuss Conveyor earthing/bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.
On paper I'm a fairly well qualified electrician but lack some experience of this stuff.
Got a large flat bed roller conveyor system(perhaps 40/45, 3m sections) that I look after just now.
240v, rcd protected in main control panel.
Most all bolted to concrete slab and mechanically coupled together but, 9 portable sections are not and sit on rubber wheels.
These 9 portable sections "but"up against main conveyor so operatives can load(and touch main conveyor). And are connected via 240v commando type plug/sockets. Section are made of steel.
Should these portable sections be bonded to main conveyor Or just rely on CPC incase af a fault?

Hope above makes sense. Cannot find any reg but my background more bs 7671.

Thanku o' learned colleagues

I would consider the portable section to be a machine in its own right.
Therefore it’s protection comes from the cpc.

Hi James an westie thanks for replies.
Wish I'd also added my concerns with bonding.
With any of the above 9 conveyors (mounted on insulated wheels) being within touching distance of so much earth and earthed conveyors should these 9 also have their chassis bonded to earth?
Under certain(highly unusual) fault conditions the chassis could remain live until a operative touches it and, very likely, another conveyor or earth itself. Or would that introduce some problem that I've not thought of?

Reply to Conveyor earthing/bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net