Discuss Cool white and warm white in same room? Yey or Neh?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomodo

-
Reaction score
Hi guys simple question - designing the lighting for my kitchen diner extension which will have a sofa area, dining table area and kitchen bar area... now I wanted to have warm white lights in the sofa, dining and outside areas and then cool white in the kitchen area and under cabinets. Do people think this will look silly? Thanks

Check with the Mrs. I installed cool white and was promptly over ruled! Not sure about mixing though. Might work and be dependent on brightness. Would these be GU10 LEDs?

not sure weather to buy the actual led fittings that come with a fixed lamp... then there would be the under cabinet lights, drop down pendant lights over bar area and wall lights

I agree with Kingeri.
Cool lights look clinical and are (in my opinion) most suited to an environment where you want that high intense whiteness. Warm light is soft and offers exactly that warm cosy feel without the clinical intensity.

I swapped my old GU10 lamps for modern cool light leds in my kitchen. I soon swapped to warm lights, much better in my opinion.

I have a friend who is an artist, he won't allow anything other than warm or natural lamps in his studio.

You could try those fittings that offer you 3 colour effects at the flick of a switch, warm, natural and cool. Not sure the cost and how good they are long term but I have installed them and they seemed ok.

If there is a definable breakup of the room to the area you want warm white it can work but you'll only know when you try it.
Had a client want me to fit a light he bought and I could see where the warm white against the cool looked odd initially but because it was in an area over a sofa and crucially there was a dividing pillar in the way, it worked, so I think it needs to be seen to be judged.
Have recently fitted 12 Amitex Centurians 12w dimmable and 'white colour' dimmable to an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge on 3 different code/zones on the remote and its interesting to go from cool white in kitchen to warmer white then to warm white as you get into the lounge. Lovely lights to fit, 95 cutout and a flush look. There is some pretty stuff out there now.

I always like to mix the lighting, for a kitchen or bathroom I will fit cool white, hallways and rooms etc warm white. I am doing a kitchen now, cool white in the downlights with warm white for the under cupboard lights, looks braw.

If there is a definable breakup of the room to the area you want warm white it can work but you'll only know when you try it.
Had a client want me to fit a light he bought and I could see where the warm white against the cool looked odd initially but because it was in an area over a sofa and crucially there was a dividing pillar in the way, it worked, so I think it needs to be seen to be judged.
Have recently fitted 12 Amitex Centurians 12w dimmable and 'white colour' dimmable to an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge on 3 different code/zones on the remote and its interesting to go from cool white in kitchen to warmer white then to warm white as you get into the lounge. Lovely lights to fit, 95 cutout and a flush look. There is some pretty stuff out there now.

Do those run with a driver?

Integrated driver - sweet bit of kit. Price around 25 each but I rate them
Interested, might get one just to try. The remote control, have you tried one, is it easy to use, robust etc?

How many have you fitted, just wondering about warranty. Had a few JCC go pete tong recently.

The 12, initially 4 then 8 more. The remote quite small robust and only about £7 to replace. Give 1 a go

I think it is workable, very dependant on personal preference though. However, just a thought, how about using dimmable LED so you can shade the colour and intensity to suit depending on time of day and mood? And as above, there are more and more choices of colour switching all the way to RGB with great flexibility on lighting.

The Bell EcoLed Firestay also has the option to switch colour temperature on the back of the fitting.

Reply to Cool white and warm white in same room? Yey or Neh?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock