Discuss Copper pipes in crawlspace grounding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jeffdmc1

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

The water supply from my water meter to the house is rubber pipe, but my water lines in the crawlspace are copper . Is it code to have a ground wire from the main electrical panel to the copper lines, since there is no metallic pipe to the house, which would provide a ground source? Currently, there is a #4 that does connect the panel to the copper pipes.

Possibly a ground is necessary in case of a lightning strike that finds the copper pipes in crawlspacex or the metal hose bib on the outside of the house.

The reason this came up is that the section of pipe where the ground is attached to has been replaced with pex thus ending the ground. I have to extend the #4 another 8 feet to connect to the copper again. Which brings up another question. Can the #4 ground wire, per code, be extended 8 feet using a split bolt or is a irreversible connecter need to be used?

Hopefully, this is the correct forum and method for DIYers.

Thank You
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

The water supply from my water meter to the house is rubber pipe, but my water lines in the crawlspace are copper . Is it code to have a ground wire from the main electrical panel to the copper lines, since there is no metallic pipe to the house, which would provide a ground source? Currently, there is a #4 that does connect the panel to the copper pipes.

Possibly a ground is necessary in case of a lightning strike that finds the copper pipes in crawlspacex or the metal hose bib on the outside of the house.

The reason this came up is that the section of pipe where the ground is attached to has been replaced with pex thus ending the ground. I have to extend the #4 another 8 feet to connect to the copper again. Which brings up another question. Can the #4 ground wire, per code, be extended 8 feet using a split bolt or is a irreversible connecter need to be used?

Hopefully, this is the correct forum and method for DIYers.

Thank You
Jeff
Yes you can extend your # 4 8 feet. All copper and galvanized piping must be bonded to the main service. The ground wire is not for lighting, there has been many times a person has crawled under a house and grab the piping and got electrocuted. All metallic boxes, and piping must be bonded

Yes you can extend your # 4 8 feet. All copper and galvanized piping must be bonded to the main service. The ground wire is not for lighting, there has been many times a person has crawled under a house and grab the piping and got electrocuted. All metallic boxes, and piping must be bonded
Thank you for your answer and it does make sense. Can it be extended using a slit bolt? Also, could you give a couple of examples how the copper pipes in a crawlspace can become charged? Thank you once again.

In addition to this post that I started.
The electrical inspector in my county said that it is permissible to extend the #4 ground wire 8 feet, that connects to the copper pipe in the crawlspace, by using a split bolt. I've read where it is necessary to use two types of tape to wrap the connection securely and to protect against the bolt wearing through the tape.
If this is code and makes sense, what type of tapes would the forum users suggest?
Thank you for helping out with this project.

In addition to this post that I started.
The electrical inspector in my county said that it is permissible to extend the #4 ground wire 8 feet, that connects to the copper pipe in the crawlspace, by using a split bolt. I've read where it is necessary to use two types of tape to wrap the connection securely and to protect against the bolt wearing through the tape.
If this is code and makes sense, what type of tapes would the forum users suggest?
Thank you for helping out with this project.
The split bolts, you have to tape first with varnish tape, then rubber tape, and last you use scotch 33 tape. That is for split bolts for live wires. What you are doing does not require tapping. Good luck with your project

Reply to Copper pipes in crawlspace grounding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock