Discuss Copper Surface Trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Its fairly certain that the OP isnt going to use a cable type that he doesnt know how to terminate.
And a £6 a metre pyro will be the most expensive option.
Go for the copper pipe install is what i say , nice to see a bit of imagination.

and make sure the copper pipe is earthed.

Er , ok.
Can a skilled tradesman use their imagination without being labelled a diy'er ?
bit of a daft statement tbh.

:-/
It's not a 'bit of a daft statement' at all. Firstly I presented it as my opinion rather than a statement of fact, and secondly ingenious solutions to otherwise simple electrical jobs are what DIYers tend to do. There's no need to leave the next electrician scratching his head trying to figure out what's been lashed together because the previous installer fancied being a bit different, eg why would you use plumbing pipe when there is a perfectly good solution available?
You might be able to run the pipes around the property, you might be able to get them to fit in the boxes, but how do you add inspection bends in accordance with the regs? Would you try making your own couplers, or solder the ends together like a plumber?
Then you've got the problems associated with having done something nobody's expecting, like when it comes to altering a circuit - the electrician will be looking for something which looks like electrical wiring, not plumbing. Likewise if the central heating needs replacing and the plumber tells his apprentice to 'rip out all the pipework'.

So I do think it's better to install circuits 'by the book' - letting your imagination run wild seems to be asking for trouble.

It's not a 'bit of a daft statement' at all. Firstly I presented it as my opinion rather than a statement of fact, and secondly ingenious solutions to otherwise simple electrical jobs are what DIYers tend to do. There's no need to leave the next electrician scratching his head trying to figure out what's been lashed together because the previous installer fancied being a bit different, eg why would you use plumbing pipe when there is a perfectly good solution available?
You might be able to run the pipes around the property, you might be able to get them to fit in the boxes, but how do you add inspection bends in accordance with the regs? Would you try making your own couplers, or solder the ends together like a plumber?
Then you've got the problems associated with having done something nobody's expecting, like when it comes to altering a circuit - the electrician will be looking for something which looks like electrical wiring, not plumbing. Likewise if the central heating needs replacing and the plumber tells his apprentice to 'rip out all the pipework'.

So I do think it's better to install circuits 'by the book' - letting your imagination run wild seems to be asking for trouble.

Have you any idea how dull and tedious that post was ?
good grief man , write an essay why dont you.

Seen two or three runs in 15 mm copper all in one village as it happens not installed by myself though, anyhow if it what's the customer wand then so be it and as it happens it didn't look to bad. Any electrician should be able to figure out what's been done as it only like a steel conduit run, as for inspection bends all the install I'd seen were in cottages as is the op so runs can be kept straight in most cases.

Have you any idea how dull and tedious that post was ?
good grief man , write an essay why dont you.

Dull and tedious his post may have seemed to you, I don't know, I can't comment? However, do you not think he makes at least a couple of fair points?

I was going to mention before he beat me to it about the plumber asking his apprentice to take a grinder to all the 'old' pipework! Very doubtful it would ever happen but still, if it did, it would be a rather 'shocking' situation :D

I can certainly give you some pointers. My house is kinda like a beach house and there's no ceiling on the ground floor so when I extended it I recycled all the old copper pipe as conduit. There's a few things that make your life easier;

• When you cut the copper pipe run a deburring tool around the inside of the cut to stop it chaffing the cabling.
  • I used 22mm copper pipe with solder type fittings but I used 2 very small pop rivets to secure the joints of elbows and couplings. This gives good continuity to the entire run of copper.
  • You can use plumbing elbows but they're tight radius, you must pull the cable through as you assemble the copper conduit. If you go to a refrigeration wholesalers you can get long radius copper refrigeration bends, they're imperial sizes but you can make them fit plumbing pipe by using a swageing kit.
Here's some pics of my handywork;

Copper Surface Trunking conduit1 - EletriciansForums.net

Copper Surface Trunking conduit 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Copper Surface Trunking curtain rail1 - EletriciansForums.net

Copper Surface Trunking roll holder1 - EletriciansForums.net

This is the swaging tool and deburring tool I used;

Copper Surface Trunking post-snapondeburrin - EletriciansForums.net

Copper Surface Trunking DSCN3513.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Whilst a good idea MICC can look terrible if not done by someone with good skills to dress it back let alone making it off.

Tbh the only thing wrong with using copper pipe as a substitute conduit is the fact it's it's just something we dont usualy do.... nothing more than that.

At times it is good to think outside of our small boxes....admittedly not always though.

read somewere conduit in HOUSE OF COMMONS is copper

Indeed the House of Commons does have extensive copper conduit installations... The conduit (brass alloy) box fittings and couplers are soldered to the copper conduit... Couplers also come in dual soldered/screw configuration.

In this particular instance though, MICC cable is ideal for keeping an old cottage in a oldie world setting, whilst out performing any other cabling system. What's more, installed correctly, it'll probably out last the cottage. Just don't ask a electrical trainee DI to install it!!.... lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Copper Surface Trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock