Currently reading:
Covering yourself on materials.

Discuss Covering yourself on materials. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

its only fair to add a mark up for materials, i only give a guarantee as per the accessory manufacturer's guarantee. I am thinking of maybe offering some form of guarantee for workmanship ie. wiring what do you guys think as i have heard of sparks offering a " lifetime" guarantee i think this is a minefield

i have heard of 2 year guarantee on work but a lifetime !
then again i have heard people say they are getting married for a life time, cant see how they do

25 year waranty on an installation (subject to condoitions) is not uncommon and if you dont mark up your materials who pay's for delivery / collection , returns and if you deal with WF waiting 2 hours to get served

I just got stung to the tune of £800 for this exact reason

How did you manage to get stung for materials? I'm guessing you didn't install them otherwise you would have been stung for labour too. If the materials are not installed, either take them back or use for next job?

Cheers !

My customer wants to buy materials even tho i can get them cheaper(hes buying from toolstation/screwfix).
Iv explained this, Hes suggested we go into the wholesalers together and he pays cash there and then(he wants my discount). I get the feeling hes super paraniod im going to make huge amounts of money from materials. He now wants me to write a list of everything i need so he can go and get it. This is going to take me a good couple fo hours which i can imagine hes not going to want to pay me for. Iv explained if he wants to go pay for the larger stuff( 50mm 3 core swa, 50m 2.5 50m 1.5, Couple of CCu's, Socketouts of his choose) i ll supply capping,back boxes, screws etc etc.
I just started up are all customers like this? Iv spent 3-4 hours there already scoping the job. Hes getting polyphase supply and Massively trying to overload 1 and using very little on the other. He spat feathers at £1150 to have the supply fitted. Hes currently got 7 CCU's lol Any suggestions on what i do about materials would be helpfull, Hes gunna buy the cheapest of the cheap

Hes suggested we go into the wholesalers together and he pays cash there and then(he wants my discount)

I'm sorry but I'd be telling this clown to do 1!

He wants your discount, your knowledge and your time for naff all. How are you even 100% certain that he won't get someone cheap in to do all the wiring and then call you to certify it?

Sorry but you're in business to make provide a service and MAKE MONEY not have the P*SS taken out of you.

you have to watch out sometimes when customers buy cheap crap and want it fitted and it takes twice as long, he is not super paraniod he is super super tight, have you told him you have just started up ?

That boy sounds like a ball ache .tell him to get raffled and find something more profitable to do with yourtime.like paying customers work.this boy is gonna play you and you will end up doing his work for nothing. You don't need customers like this

Reply to Covering yourself on materials. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock