Discuss Creating An Earthing Block In The Meter Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening..

If ever I am installing an earth rod or main bonding I always bring the cables back to the consumer unit.

With a job I have just taken on it would be easier to have an Earthing bar in the electric meter box and bring the cable from the rod to this and then to the CU, the reason being is that the gas meter box is right by it so I could then connect the main bonding from the gas meter box to the earth terminal in the electric meter box. I've seen this a few times with TNCS or TNS but not TT as there is usually no need to have the earth in the meter box with a TT.

Have to admit I haven't given this much thought as I am tired but thought I would post!!

That's interesting Dave, so would all Main bonding have to go to this point or could the water still go to the CU? Main bonding is not supposed to have any breaks.

The earth block you install in the meter box will be your main earth terminal.
It is permissible to have joints in a bonding cable (even though the recommendation is that it should be unbroken) and certainly I would not have a problem with using the consumer unit earth bar as a connection for the water bonding and using the main earth back to the MET as a combined earthing and bonding cable.
Since the intent is to ensure that all parts that may introduce another potential are at the same potential as the earthing for the installation and this has been achieved without the likelihood of an inadvertent disconnection there should be no problem.

Reply to Creating An Earthing Block In The Meter Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
I’m not working on this… not yet anyway, but can someone tell me why there’s a fuse or a link on the earth here? The green wire is bonded to...
Replies
Views
Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me...
Replies
Views
Hi, i live in a new build house where they builders have left a junction box on the outside of my house. In the junction box there is a 6mm twin...
Replies
Views
Please can someone explain if this is a TNCS or a TNS earthing arrangement because it looks like both to me. Old undersized main bonding conductor...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock