Discuss crimping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

beanzntoast

Hi all,just abit of advice please a theoretical question really,if either of you went to a customer & they wanted all their socket height positions correcting to the current regulations( i.e min 450mm).without changing the whole wiring on the ring in order to reach the new positions what other options are available out there,Is crimping with heat shrink a prefferred way of extending the wires if so is this common practice to use the crimps on a solid conductors (not the stranded variety) because i heard you cannot (i've tried checking this in the ''very exciting to read '' BS 7671 :2008 :confused: but because i'm new to the book i can't find anything about this)or is it better to do it another way.A simple question to most of you but any advice would be appreiciated

cheers jason

Don't know if i've understood it correct but in the bible regulation 526.3 ,,every connection should be made accessable except for the following blah blah blah & a joint made by welding,soldering,brazing or appropriate compression tool,wouldn't crimping come under the last bit,forgive my misunderstanding if i'm wrong
jason

A crimped joint is a permanent connection and does not require to be accessable
Heat shrink re instates the required insulation
If the crimp is for solid cores,as long as it is carried out coorrectly then it is ok

The new regs do not requirethe sockets to be at such and such an heigith
Building regulations may require this for new or refurbished installations
Rewires or additions should make the compliance no worse,that is all

Agree with the above however if you need to crimp buy a proper crimper £20.00 mark and not the toys you see for Mr DIY.

Chris

just to add, a cheap pair of crimps are worth keeping too find that the ratchet crimps are the best but if youre crimping 1.0mm then the ratchets dont compress far enough

Hi, Can anyone advice me
I have to replace a CU and all twin and earth cables are too short so I have to extend them and I want to use through crimps just about 30cm before the CU and enclose all the connections in 70mm x 55mm PVC trunking,
would that be alright and enough?
what about if I protect every connection with heat-shrinking sleeving shall I sleve every crimp or just sleeve every cable (3 crimps sleeved together) or do I really need to heatshrink sleeve them if they gonna be in the trunking which make them accessible for inspection
I will probably show this job in the nearest future for the NIC EIC or Elecsa assessor so I want to have it done propelly.
Also water main bnonding conductor is too short, would a crimp on it be acceptable?
any advice would be much appreciated

Hi all,just abit of advice please a theoretical question really,if either of you went to a customer & they wanted all their socket height positions correcting to the current regulations( i.e min 450mm).without changing the whole wiring on the ring in order to reach the new positions what other options are available out there,Is crimping with heat shrink a prefferred way of extending the wires if so is this common practice to use the crimps on a solid conductors (not the stranded variety) because i heard you cannot (i've tried checking this in the ''very exciting to read '' BS 7671 :2008 :confused: but because i'm new to the book i can't find anything about this)or is it better to do it another way.A simple question to most of you but any advice would be appreiciated

cheers jason
If you are going to extend the cables at every socket in the house that is an awful lot of joints and I would really be concernerned about that.....any joint, no matter how well done is a potential weak point and that many inaccessible and plastered in...????....future problems guaranteed IMHO..........If they are determined to raise all the sockets I would advise rewiring.

From "Kitchen Fitting For Dummies".....

1. Take the wires to be joined and twist them together
  2. Apply a generous amount of cheap insulation tape
  3. Shove back into wall and plaster
:eek: :D :D

Only kidding.

I'm with wirepuller, it may be just as quick to rewire when you think how many joints you're gonna have.

If the joint were in trunking I wouldn't bother heatshrinking because it's accessible, but in the wall it would be better to heatshrink the cable (in reality I'd probably just use tape); in both cases I would stagger the joints so they're not both together.

For the record I wouldn't be happy crimping cables to every socket just so the heights can be moved to look like they were wired to current regs, I'd either push for the ring to be rewired or replace the socket front with a blank plate (possibly just a single) to allow for inspection, then see if the customer still wants them moved. That said this thread was started over a year ago so not sure if any advice is still needed.

Reply to crimping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock