Discuss Curiosity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

Just a thought, ; IR testing on house today , to find EVERY circiut around th 200 -300 Mega ohm mark.... apart from obviously a new one i put in.

Obviously the insulation has broken down over time. i was curious if the age of the installation could be estimated / calculated by this ?

Ok, i know that different levels of miosture / temperature within the house will effect insulation life. But still ,...would be curious to know.

200Mohms is better than most installations will achieve anyway. 2Mohms is acceptable, so what's your worry?

Just a thought, ; IR testing on house today , to find EVERY circiut around th 200 -300 Mega ohm mark.... apart from obviously a new one i put in.

Obviously the insulation has broken down over time. i was curious if the age of the installation could be estimated / calculated by this ?

Ok, i know that different levels of miosture / temperature within the house will effect insulation life. But still ,...would be curious to know.

Paragraph 1) 200-300M ohms is excellent for an in service final circuit.
Paragraph 2) No the age can't be estimated/calculated from the measured IR.
Paragraph 3) The issue is not so much that moisture/temperature will effect insulation life, but that it will effect the measurement of IR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paragraph 1) 200-300M ohms is excellent for an in service final circuit.
Paragraph 2) No the age can't be estimated/calculated from the measured IR.
Paragraph 3) The issue is not so much that moisture/temperature will effect insulation life, but that it will effect the measurement of IR.

Agree entirely!!! Highly unlikely you would ever get identical IR readings from one day to the next. And as you say environmental influences will affect the readings, not necessarily the insulation life of the installation...

What regular PPM IR readings Can tell you, are tendencies towards IR breakdowns of a particular machine/motor or cable. ie, ...A is marked and continuing lowering of IR values. Normally these sorts of regular tests are only made on essential equipment or supplies...

Reply to Curiosity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net