Discuss Current rating for tumble dryer? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

benajamos

DIY
Reaction score
I have just bought a tumble dryer that has come supplied with A 13A fuse.

The manual says it has come with a special plug, that must be plugged into a 16A rated socket.

Surely if I plugged it into a 16A socket and it tried to draw more than 13A it would blow? Can I plug this into a normal 13A socket?

Unfortunately the 13A fuse will not blow in any sensible time period at 16A. What it will do is slowly cook both the plug and socket until they both fail, if the drier really does draw close to 16A.
This is a problem that occurs with the import of European specced equipment into the UK, since 16A is a standard plug and socket rating there.
What does it actually state on the drier's rating plate?

If it comes supplied with a 13A plug, just plug it in to a suitable socket, avoid extension leads.

Is this a standard domestic drier or something more? Anything sold as domestic should be capable of running from a 13A plug, but semi commercial stuff may need more. My neighbour has a drier that definitely needs a 16A plug and socket, and one of my own is on 32A.

Unfortunately the 13A fuse will not blow in any sensible time period at 16A. What it will do is slowly cook both the plug and socket until they both fail, if the drier really does draw close to 16A.
This is a problem that occurs with the import of European specced equipment into the UK, since 16A is a standard plug and socket rating there.
What does it actually state on the drier's rating plate?
It lists 16A, I'm just confused how they can put a 13A fuse in plug then

Is this a standard domestic drier or something more? Anything sold as domestic should be capable of running from a 13A plug, but semi commercial stuff may need more. My neighbour has a drier that definitely needs a 16A plug and socket, and one of my own is on 32A.
Yeah sold as domestic, standard one from Currys. Nothing major.... sharp kd-ncb9s7pw9

Power rating on Sharp's own site says 2700W = 11.7A max.
I've found the bit in the instructions now - it says the SOCKET should be protected by a 16A fuse, not the machine. In most of the world, this 16A fuse would be the only protection for the machine and its lead, but not in the UK, so the 16A protection is irrelevant here, whatever the manufacturer's instructions say.

Last edited:
Power rating on Sharp's own site says 2700W = 11.7A max.
I've found the bit in the instructions now - it says the SOCKET should be protected by a 16A fuse, not the machine. In most of the world, this 16A fuse would be the only protection for the machine and its lead, but not in the UK, so the 16A protection is irrelevant here, whatever the manufacturer's instructions say.
So do you reckon safe to use? Or is it worth switching to one that says 13A max on type plate

It is potentially confusing in the text, but if it's fitted with a 13amp plug then it's O.K to plug in, relevant text from user manual below;

Attachments

• Current rating for tumble dryer? Dryer.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    Dryer.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 9
I think this is an error in translation, it happens a lot with domestic appliance manuals. The text for the 230V version is often written with mainland Europe in mind, but the writers / translators don't realise that the UK has different plugs and circuits. In Europe, 10A and 16A circuits are common, so what it is saying is that it must be be connected to a 16A circuit not a 10A one, which makes sense in Switzerland but not in the UK.

A clue is 'earthed socket'. Although the statement is true, 'earthed socket' is a direct translation of Schukosteckdose, which is German for a normal power point. Sometimes it's more blatant, it will tell you to connect to a 'socket of protective contact' or something like that which is a clear indication the German has been translated by someone who doesn't know the difference between UK and EU wiring.

Ignore, plug in, dry clothes. As for all dryers, don't use shoddy sockets or extension leads.

I think it means that it should be plugged into an ordinary socket outlet which is rated at 16A and the appliance is protected by the fuse at 13A so a bit of a nothing-burger really.

I'm sure everyone is reading too much into this, because it's not supposed to say 16A at all, it's an error. That manual snippet actually refers to an 'earthed socket protected by a fuse of 16 amperes' and goes on to insist once more that the circuit must have a 16A fuse. This is not normal practice in the UK but is 100% standard in dozens of other countries, i.e. we are seeing a literal translation of the Chinese or Korean or whatever, instead of a proper UK version.

It's like a car handbook that tells you about the car in accurate detail, but always with an implication that we drive on the right hand side of the road and have to abide by both state and federal laws, because they copied the US manual to make the UK one, just changing hood to bonnet and trunk to boot.

Reply to Current rating for tumble dryer? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock