Discuss Customers wanting receipts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I had a customer that I've done a bit of work for over the past couple of years ring yesterday morning looking to get some lights etc. replaced which I had advised him about a number of months ago. I told him that I wasn't available from Saturday onwards for another 3 weeks or so, so it would be doubtful whether I could get it done before then.

Anyhow, I managed to get there late yesterday afternoon when I was nearby and replace them.

Just got a text today: "Hi Richard, can you keep me receipts for any materials bought for work please. Thanks <name redacted due to GDPR>.

Obviously there is absolutely no way that he can have my invoices from the wholesalers, but how would you respond?

The only reason I can possibly think your customer may be asking for receipts you have for purchases you have made, would be if you are not vat registered, but your customer is vat registered.
In this case, your customer may want to process the receipts as if he has made the materials purchases, reclaiming vat on the materials. If however you are vat registered, this would not apply, as he would reclaim the vat shown on your invoice.

The only reason I can possibly think your customer may be asking for receipts you have for purchases you have made, would be if you are not vat registered, but your customer is vat registered.
In this case, your customer may want to process the receipts as if he has made the materials purchases, reclaiming vat on the materials. If however you are vat registered, this would not apply, as he would reclaim the vat shown on your invoice.
Personally I suspect he's just being a tightwad and trying to see that I haven't charged him more for materials than I bought them for. But I don't recall ever telling him that I was some sort of sadistic charity which sells items not for profit so I really don't get where he's coming from.

I'm going to quote GDPR and say that other customers' details are on these invoices as their materials are also there, also some materials were taken from stock from the stores and anyway his contract is with me and not my suppliers.

EDIT: I've sent him a message back stating: "
Hi <name redacted>, invoices from wholesalers contain other customers details also and therefore are subject to GDPR (as materials are bought for numerous jobs together); also some materials are taken from stock in our stores and not just purchased at the time. Materials sold by us to you are included in our invoice but suppliers invoices to us are ours and have to be kept for tax reasons. Regards, Richard."

Last edited:
That's a pretty good answer to your own question......and I totally agree with you.
I wonder what your wholesaler would say if you asked him for that info? He's buying and selling, you're doing likewise.

That's a pretty good answer to your own question......and I totally agree with you.
I wonder what your wholesaler would say if you asked him for that info? He's buying and selling, you're doing likewise.
Checking see how much percentage add on you are charging him for

Honest, Pete, do you reckon?;)

Might as well charge him trade prices before discount..... 100m 2.5 T&E for 1,200 quid would make him think:p
My unbiased honest opinion ipf, todays clientele are after a fair deal, so if you quote for a job with lots of material costs, Human nature tells the client, "how much is that lot of stuff going to cost me?" so he/she will check the prices and want to compare the prices from different sources, and then check your prices and add ons, appreciate you have to look around for the best price for your quotation, but like I said there are some people that don't trust the honest operator. and will ask for invoices to compare their information, it happens, you have to be scrupulously honest in your pricing regime, not saying anyone is being dishonest, but look at it from the customer's point of view, after all you wouldn't buy a car at x£Ks without checking other businesses before agreeing, same with work these days.

Perhaps the warranty for the lights is only valid with the original purchase receipt?
Did you pass on any instructions for the lights?
But I suspect he thinks you may have overcharged on materials!
Be interesting to see the response to your reply.

This is why I always price by the point, it saves any of this hassle, I always find if I did materials and labour the customer would think your hourly rate was your wages or they would price your materials themselves in the likes of screwfix or the likes.

My unbiased honest opinion ipf, todays clientele are after a fair deal, so if you quote for a job with lots of material costs, Human nature tells the client, "how much is that lot of stuff going to cost me?" so he/she will check the prices and want to compare the prices from different sources, and then check your prices and add ons, appreciate you have to look around for the best price for your quotation, but like I said there are some people that don't trust the honest operator. and will ask for invoices to compare their information, it happens, you have to be scrupulously honest in your pricing regime, not saying anyone is being dishonest, but look at it from the customer's point of view, after all you wouldn't buy a car at x£Ks without checking other businesses before agreeing, same with work these days.
I'm winking, Pete, it's obvious...…….and that IS spelt correctly;)

I wouldn’t give them either. The price of the material has nothing to do with him whatsoever...He must of accepted the quote, for the work to of gone ahead. I think your response is spot on and I would be interested in his reply. I had this once with a customer where he asked how much I paid per downlight, thinking nothing of it I told him the price which I think at the time was £21 per intergrated fitting. A few days past and I went over to collect payment, knocked on the door, customer said do you mind popping in so I can have a word....To cut a long story short he had been in to my wholesaler (must of seen the name on the bag the materials come in) and had picked up the same downlight or so he had thought for £16. He then said I feel you are ripping me of as you’ve said they are £21 and I’m joe public and got the same downlight from your wholesalers for £16. My initial thought was, what a cheeky git! I then looked at the box and noticed they were non dim and the ones I had purchased and fitted were dimmable. He then said I never asked for dimmable to which I replied my quote stated dimmable and how much I pay for material has nothing to do with him as he accepted the quote I provided and he could of gone with someone else. He tried chipping me the difference to which he got told it weren’t happening! A few choice words from me, got my money and left calling him a cheeky git.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t give them either. The price of the material has nothing to do with him whatsoever...He must of accepted the quote, for the work to of gone ahead. I think your response is spot on and I would be interested in his reply. I had this once with a customer where he asked how much I paid per downlight, thinking nothing of it I told him the price which I think at the time was £21 per intergrated fitting. A few days past and I went over to collect payment, knocked on the door, customer said do you mind popping in so I can have a word....To cut a long story short he had been in to my wholesaler (must of seen the name on the bag the materials come in) and had picked up the same downlight or so he had thought for £16. He then said I feel you are ripping me of as you’ve said they are £21 and I’m joe public and got the same downlight from your wholesalers for £16. My initial thought was, what a cheeky git! I then looked at the box and noticed they were non dim and the ones I had purchased and fitted were dimmable. He then said I never asked for dimmable to which I replied my quote stated dimmable and how much I pay for material has nothing to do with him as he accepted the quote I provided and he could of gone with someone else. He tried chipping me the difference to which he got told it weren’t happening! A few choice words from me, got my money and left calling him a cheeky **** :D
He rang yesterday morning but I was busy working in the main DB of a well-known pizza chain trying to get done before opening. I phoned back later and he wanted receipts to see he was only paying cost price. I told him that I never offered him cost price and that he told me to go ahead based on the estimated price I had given him and that it was none of his business what the materials had cost me. He said if I wasn't happy giving them then he would get someone else to finish other work there. I told him that I didn't care and that under no circumstances could he have documents to do with my private business dealings. I offloaded him as a customer and I'm happy I did the right thing. Don't need his crappy work anyway.

He rang yesterday morning but I was busy working in the main DB of a well-known pizza chain trying to get done before opening. I phoned back later and he wanted receipts to see he was only paying cost price. I told him that I never offered him cost price and that he told me to go ahead based on the estimated price I had given him and that it was none of his business what the materials had cost me. He said if I wasn't happy giving them then he would get someone else to finish other work there. I told him that I didn't care and that under no circumstances could he have documents to do with my private business dealings. I offloaded him as a customer and I'm happy I did the right thing. Don't need his crappy work anyway.
Good riddance. That kind of behaviour is really aggravating. Prolly still has his communion money.

Yep this sort of thing properly winds me up. There is a breed of householder out there who seem to think that we are minions to do their bidding, like spending time and diesel doing their shopping for them, with no margin. The same types tend to be the ones that compare labour rates to their salary and moan. On more than one occassion I've pointed out to these people that if their employer charged them out at the same rate that they get in their pay packet, they'd very shortly be out of a job since the company would go bust!
What I find most irritating though is this question of honesty and integrity. It is perfectly reasonable, and indeed necessary, for a business to apply a margin on goods and services supplied, but these people will consider you dishonest for doing so. Best avoided at all times. I now give a price for a job all in, take it or leave it. Easier all round.

"Can I have a full breakdown on that please"

Ill send them a more detailed description of the work, or generally ignored/skirted/fobbed off... Even if I needed the work I'd rather wait tables.

Although you have to be carefully, you KNOW what's worse. 2nd fit Monday for a regular builder, client supplying all fittings. Wish me luck!

You know what's much more money than the thin % I'll put on parts to cover procurement and warranty? The extra you'll pay for me for the extra time and hassle to fit the invariably incorrect, happy shopper rubbish you'll insult me with.

Reply to Customers wanting receipts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net