Discuss Customers wanting receipts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think it is absolutely fine for a customer to ask for the actual cost of materials BEFORE the work is started and BEFORE the quote has been accepted. Once the quote has been accepted and work started I would be peed off if they started asking about material costs as they have already accepted them.

I think you gave the correct and professional response in your email and I would not want to do work for that person again. That's one of the things I love about being self employed, being able to say NO.

only time i disclose materials costis on bigger jobs where client is vat reg. and if he buys direct from wholesaler he can reclaim the vat. as i'm not vat reg. ok, i lose out on any mark up, but then i'm not standing out hundreds.

Good riddance, I feel for whoever takes on his work. He probably goes into his local takeaway demanding to know how much the basic ingredients are

Good riddance, I feel for whoever takes on his work. He probably goes into his local takeaway demanding to know how much the basic ingredients are
I said to him you wouldn't go into a shop and ask for things at cost price.

Anyway, as he's about a mile over the border the materials were bought in Sterling but to be sold in Euro so there would never be a direct comparison.

I had a customer that I've done a bit of work for over the past couple of years ring yesterday morning looking to get some lights etc. replaced which I had advised him about a number of months ago. I told him that I wasn't available from Saturday onwards for another 3 weeks or so, so it would be doubtful whether I could get it done before then.

Anyhow, I managed to get there late yesterday afternoon when I was nearby and replace them.

Just got a text today: "Hi Richard, can you keep me receipts for any materials bought for work please. Thanks <name redacted due to GDPR>.

Obviously there is absolutely no way that he can have my invoices from the wholesalers, but how would you respond?
You send him your own invoice marked as paid. For whatever amount, either the original price, or your own price for picking them all up and whatnot.

Nobody works for free.

Its human nature I'm afraid. You can blame the www for people finding how much things cost, although I don't think Id get too wound up over the price of a downlight, unless you supplying hundreds.

I had my garden last year. Had some decking done, which originally I was going to do, but her indoors ruled, she wasn't going to wait 6mths for it to happen. Landscaper did it in the end. I know he made a mark up on the materials, but then thats business. If I'd got the materials, he would of charged more labour. Some people do wanna skin a fart.

The place I work now, has a particular luminaire fitted each room. We've had to get some replacements from Franklite. I wouldn't pay £50 for them, but costs us £120 a pop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Language in public. 1 point for 1 month.
I knew of someone once who get on well with the branch manager of the wholesaler who was able to edit the delivery note and alter the prices to whatever he wanted. This should not be necessary though, the cost of materials is not the customers prerogative. They know the cost of the job before work commences they can like it or lump it. (Language in public forums!) them.

I was going to move the thread to the arms so you can swear a bit. But a couple of people have contributed to it that don't have access. So please just be mindful of where the thread is people.

:)

Ta.

He rang yesterday morning but I was busy working in the main DB of a well-known pizza chain trying to get done before opening. I phoned back later and he wanted receipts to see he was only paying cost price. I told him that I never offered him cost price and that he told me to go ahead based on the estimated price I had given him and that it was none of his business what the materials had cost me. He said if I wasn't happy giving them then he would get someone else to finish other work there. I told him that I didn't care and that under no circumstances could he have documents to do with my private business dealings. I offloaded him as a customer and I'm happy I did the right thing. Don't need his crappy work anyway.
I totally agree with you id have done the exact same thing it is nine of their business what you are paying for items let someone else deal with them

UPDATE:

I was away for three weeks so sent through the invoice when I got back. I received the following e-mail in response:

"Hi Richard,
Hope your well.
I have received your invoice and have tried to call you twice today 6/11/19 to discuss.
I am disappointed in the cost of your work and mentioned my concerns to you around materials via telephone before you went on holidays as we had a conversation about cost and receipts which you were not willing to provide.
We have given you considerable work in our home and elsewhere over the last few years totalling over 2,000 and when I questioned you over the cost of materials you were in my opinion quite ignorant about it. I have no problem with other trades people that I use regularly in regards to receipts.
I keep a record of all invoices for all tradesmen I use and over the period of time your costs seems to have risen for no apparent reason. I feel that E150 labour for a few hrs work is unreasonable ( YYYYYY [his sister] was there during this) and unfair to me as a regular customer. Your Previous bill of £105 for work on the same job was also very pricey however I was happy to let this go as there is an element of good faith in everyone’s price.
I have checked with other qualified/ Registered professionals/stores and they agreed the costs of materials and labour is above and beyond what I should be paying. I asked you for a price before you started and as in previous work you would not be drawn into this, although you did mention 25 per light but did not specify if this included labour or not.
Also you have not finished the job as requested by me and I have one light not functioning inside and two outside not the way I wanted. Candle LED’s should all be dawn to dusk and you didn’t turn up to finish this job when I arranged with YYYYYY to be available to let you in. You instead went to bigger job for Dominoes Letterkenny. This caused us considerable inconvenience.
At this time I am not happy with this service and would expect you to revise your bill accordingly to reflect a fair price for your customer.
Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXX"

I wrote the following in response:

"Hi XXXXXX,
I was unable to take your calls on Wednesday as I had my annual routine inspection with the RECI/Safe Electric regulatory body and was busy with an inspection on a factory during the second half of the week.
You were quoted Stg £20 - £25 per fitting for the lights (which clearly was a materials cost and exclusive of labour). In actual fact you were only billed €19.85 per fitting – substantially less than the original estimate.
No mention of dusk till dawn lamps was made until after the lamps had already been replaced. When I asked the wholesaler later about the existence of lamps containing photocells they stated that they would not consider these to be a reliable product and therefore don’t stock these.
I am confident that a labour charge of €150 for half a day’s work including three separate visits to site is both fair and reasonable. Most Registered Electrical Contractors would charge far in excess of this.
Domino’s Letterkenny was an ongoing job which was in progress before you contacted me, and I went out of my way to facilitate you regardless. Your job was not completed at your request, and you asked to be billed for works to date which was done.
For these reasons I am unable to offer any reduction in the bill and look forward to prompt payment of the invoice.
Kind regards,
Richard"

UPDATE:

I was away for three weeks so sent through the invoice when I got back. I received the following e-mail in response:

"Hi Richard,
Hope your well.
I have received your invoice and have tried to call you twice today 6/11/19 to discuss.
I am disappointed in the cost of your work and mentioned my concerns to you around materials via telephone before you went on holidays as we had a conversation about cost and receipts which you were not willing to provide.
We have given you considerable work in our home and elsewhere over the last few years totalling over 2,000 and when I questioned you over the cost of materials you were in my opinion quite ignorant about it. I have no problem with other trades people that I use regularly in regards to receipts.
I keep a record of all invoices for all tradesmen I use and over the period of time your costs seems to have risen for no apparent reason. I feel that E150 labour for a few hrs work is unreasonable ( YYYYYY [his sister] was there during this) and unfair to me as a regular customer. Your Previous bill of £105 for work on the same job was also very pricey however I was happy to let this go as there is an element of good faith in everyone’s price.
I have checked with other qualified/ Registered professionals/stores and they agreed the costs of materials and labour is above and beyond what I should be paying. I asked you for a price before you started and as in previous work you would not be drawn into this, although you did mention 25 per light but did not specify if this included labour or not.
Also you have not finished the job as requested by me and I have one light not functioning inside and two outside not the way I wanted. Candle LED’s should all be dawn to dusk and you didn’t turn up to finish this job when I arranged with Catherine to be available to let you in. You instead went to bigger job for Dominoes Letterkenny. This caused us considerable inconvenience.
At this time I am not happy with this service and would expect you to revise your bill accordingly to reflect a fair price for your customer.
Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXX"

"Hi XXXXXX,
I was unable to take your calls on Wednesday as I had my annual routine inspection with the RECI/Safe Electric regulatory body and was busy with an inspection on a factory during the second half of the week.
You were quoted Stg £20 - £25 per fitting for the lights (which clearly was a materials cost and exclusive of labour). In actual fact you were only billed €19.85 per fitting – substantially less than the original estimate.
No mention of dusk till dawn lamps was made until after the lamps had already been replaced. When I asked the wholesaler later about the existence of lamps containing photocells they stated that they would not consider these to be a reliable product and therefore don’t stock these.
I am confident that a labour charge of €150 for half a day’s work including three separate visits to site is both fair and reasonable. Most Registered Electrical Contractors would charge far in excess of this.
Domino’s Letterkenny was an ongoing job which was in progress before you contacted me, and I went out of my way to facilitate you regardless. Your job was not completed at your request, and you asked to be billed for works to date which was done.
For these reasons I am unable to offer any reduction in the bill and look forward to prompt payment of the invoice.
Kind regards,
Richard"
No reason why they should not paid. And afterwards should be told promptly to shove all future work up their hole

I had a customer that I've done a bit of work for over the past couple of years ring yesterday morning looking to get some lights etc. replaced which I had advised him about a number of months ago. I told him that I wasn't available from Saturday onwards for another 3 weeks or so, so it would be doubtful whether I could get it done before then.

Anyhow, I managed to get there late yesterday afternoon when I was nearby and replace them.

Just got a text today: "Hi Richard, can you keep me receipts for any materials bought for work please. Thanks <name redacted due to GDPR>.

Obviously there is absolutely no way that he can have my invoices from the wholesalers, but how would you respond?
@Risteard just have copies made and send them to your customer

UPDATE:

"Hi Richard,
Hope your well.
Also you have not finished the job as requested by me and I have one light not functioning inside and two outside not the way I wanted. Candle LED’s should all be dawn to dusk and you didn’t turn up to finish this job when I arranged with YYYYYY to be available to let you in. You instead went to bigger job for Dominoes Letterkenny. This caused us considerable inconvenience.
Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXX"

"Hi XXXXXX,
Kind regards,
Richard"
Love the final line.

Reply to Customers wanting receipts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net