Currently reading:
DALI dimmable LED batten connections?

Discuss DALI dimmable LED batten connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

KevinH

-
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have recently installed 3 of these lights
in a large garden office for a customer.
He wants them dimmable and I have pre installed a 2 core 1mm flex from the switch position (along with the switched mains supply) and looped in/out of each fitting.
I have never installed these before. They are DALI compatible, but I don't want to use that system, but the description says they are also switch dim/push dim retractive switch compatible.
There are no instructions supplied with the lights, but the description says that you can fit a retractive switch and with a quick press they turn on/off, or a longer press and they dim up/down.
I'm assuming for this function to work, the lights need a permanent mains supply and the retractive switch circuit connects on to the 2 terminals + and - marked on the LED driver as DA switch/corridoor control (via the 2 core flex) that the DALI would use.
Stupidly, I thought it was simply a case of installing a normally open retractive switch on to the 2 core flex to complete a volt free circuit (on the above terminals) when pressed and that would operate the dimming function when the switch is held on. This did nothing and the lights just stay at full brightness.
Do these type of lights need a module that supplies a 1-10v signal to dim, something like this connected on to the + - terminals?
I know a standard rotary LED dimmer wouldn't work, but they are apparently dimmable LED battens so how do they dim please?
I am an approved electrician with 30 years experience, but never installed this type of fitting with DALI function before. I'm old school and prefer simple on/off stuff!

A quick glance at the datasheet for the driver in the pictures suggests that you connect 230V via a retractive switch to th DA+ terminal and neutral to the DA- terminal for switch dimming.

If unsure contact the manufacturer for a wiring diagram.

Thanks davesparks. Looking at the diagram on the driver that's what I interpreted too, but I heard somewhere that the DALI system doesn't like 230volts, so I didn't want to try and blow the unit! However, I have now heard back from the supplier and they have confirmed what you said, so cheers for that. I will get it done tomorrow and fingers crossed.

Reply to DALI dimmable LED batten connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock