Discuss Damage to mains swa, is this ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Huntygowk

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, first post here, I'm not sure where to get advice about this, am looking to get an idea what my next steps should be, if any required.

I moved into a new build last May. Have only just noticed that the mains SWA cable that comes into our cupboard under the stairs has two slices in it that is exposing the steel wire of the swa. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

I've attached two images which shows the slices into the cable. In my mind this is dangerous. It's in a cable that hasn't even reached the main 100A fuse for the house.

So, should I be taking this up with the developer? Or is it ok?

Many thanks.

IMG_20201009_103014.jpgIMG_20201009_102921.jpg

It doesn't look like SWA to me, but a damaged cable with an exposed conductor. At least that is what it looks like to me due to the copper colour of the exposed metal. It may be split concentric cable but the picture is not totally clear to me, are there any markings on the cables such as BS numbers or any other identifying marks?
Ensure no one can access this by locking the cupboard or screwing it shut if there is no lock if you have kids or other vulnerable people in your household.
I think you should call the developer ASAP to get them to repair it.
The second picture seems to show cable burn, where another cable has been dragged along that one which has damaged the sheathing.

UK Power Networks deal with a fair chunk of the south of England.
The cable in question belongs to them.
Call them on 105 from a landline.
Tell them there is damage to a cable BEFORE YOUR MAIN FUSE and you can see the metal cores .

If they are not the people who are responsible for your area, they will give you a number for the company that is.

P.s. this is likely to be a repair that is done at no cost to yourself.

You are not responsible for maintaining that cable and nor are the house developers.

If you live in a flat it is possible that the cable is the responsibility of the Building Network Operater which would be down to the building freeholder I think. As has been mentioned a call to your DNO should tell you one way or the other.

Hi, many thanks for your replies.

I've attached a picture showing where the cable is .I can't see any writing on the cable, but there's not much cable to see.

IMG_20201019_113106.jpg

I'm getting in touch with developer today.

Thanks

Hi, the other cable that crosses over is an SWA that goes from my consumer unit, down through ducting ,which you can see in the floor, to an external garage. The cable for that was originally pulled through by the developer. When I got an electrical company to install the electrics in the garage they replaced that cable with a larger one. So two companies have pulled cables through, the developer, then the electrical company.

Cheers

No doubt the developer will blame the last electrical company to pull the cable through. I'm not sure about who would be to blame for the other bit of damage to the sheath in your first picture.
If the damage was already there then the electrical company you called in to replace the cable should have flagged it to you.

What a bodge job.....
They should have come in the left side.....and surely some cable cleats wouldn't have gone amis either.
Is this in an understairs cupboard? Any chance you can take a more distant wider view please.
The workmanship is very shoddy for such an important job, I wonder how all the other new houses on the street are like.

I think it is possible that the electrical company you have used are dangerous cowboys if they pulled that armoured cable damaging your supply cable and need reporting, that's if it was them who caused the damage. Are they a member of a competent persons scheme such as NICEIC or such?

Hi, I've attached a wider view image, and yes this is a cupboard under the stairs. It's a detached house.

The company I paid to install the electrics to the garage are a NECIC accredited company. Had the certificates through and everything after the work was done.

I've had site manager round and the electricity supplier who owns those cables have been contacted on their emergency number so waiting to hear back from them.IMG_20201019_151842.jpg

Whoever installed the SWA has pulled it through when it's been in contact with the DNOs cable, the friction of the SWA rubbing against it has damaged the Splitcon.

As there appears to be no damage to the cores the DNO may very well just repair the outer sheath. Expect amalgamating and PVC tape...

Reply to Damage to mains swa, is this ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net