Discuss Damage to my kitchen when dishwasher was being repaired in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had a repair from a Service centre that I was obliged to use as it was still under Guarantee. The guy came to fix my dishwasher and seemed to struggle with removing the kickboards. I offered help as they clip on and off but he refused. After he left I discovered that he had snapped my kickboard and propped it up. I informed the service centre who said that he had recorded it on the chit despite not informing me. I have just had a voicemail from them to say that whilst they accept that they damaged my kitchen, they would not take responsibility for the damage as if the kickboards had been installed properly they would not have broke. The kitchen was fitted professionally less than two years ago. How do I proceed?

its down to the customer to insure a appliance can be removed from the housing not the appliance engineer ,plus the fitters to insure can be removed at a later date .
The OP offered to help but the engineer refused therefore he has now taken full responsibility for the damage caused and the company is liable.

Is the service centre a contractor to the appliance manufacture or is it part of the Manufacturer's company?

Regardless of the answer you, the customer did not engage the Service Centre, the manufacturer did.
Your complaint is with the Manufacturer.

Re Buzz's answer, it's also for the Service engineeer to refuse to touch /remove any panels or the appliance if by doing so they are likely to cause damage.

Must have been a right doofus to break a clip-on kickboard! He's probably done similar things before if that's how he goes about things.

Is the service centre a contractor to the appliance manufacture or is it part of the Manufacturer's company?

Regardless of the answer you, the customer did not engage the Service Centre, the manufacturer did.
Your complaint is with the Manufacturer.

Re Buzz's answer, it's also for the Service engineeer to refuse to touch /remove any panels or the appliance if by doing so they are likely to cause damage.
Thank you, I thought that would be the case but Electrolux insist I must deal with them directly.

I will always avoid removing/dismantling things that a customer could do to avoid liability if that fails I will clearly explain the potential outcome and see if they are happy for me to proceed ! Even had them sign a document I knocked up before as I didn’t trust them that much.
But to damage property and leave it looking right and not informing is bang outtta order no matter what!

I will always avoid removing/dismantling things that a customer could do to avoid liability if that fails I will clearly explain the potential outcome and see if they are happy for me to proceed ! Even had them sign a document I knocked up before as I didn’t trust them that much.
But to damage property and leave it looking right and not informing is bang outtta order no matter what!
That was my thought. I have tried to be reasonable as I know that it was not deliberate and we all have accidents but they are being unreasonable to expect me to accept it.

That was my thought. I have tried to be reasonable as I know that it was not deliberate and we all have accidents but they are being unreasonable to expect me to accept it.
End of the day we all (most) have liability insurance as no one is perfect and the times something goes wrong we are covered, regardless you offered they refused, took responsibility and damaged your property they should be held accountable even if they didn’t want to use insurance an offer to rectify goes a long way, seems a sham to me

I'd put something in writing to them - much harder for them to ignore/bypass when it's in their system.

It may be worth researching the company and sending the letter or email to the complaints department of the relevant company.

If the repair was carried out under the manufacturers guarantee, then it's the manufacturer you have the 'contract' with - so I would address the issue to their complaints department.

It would probably be useful to include an estimate of what the cost would be to get the part replaced (including labour of someone doing it). With luck, they may be willing to make a 'goodwill' payment at that point to resolve the problem.

As the manufacturer has asked you to deal direct I suggest;

As above, get a price to repair / replace it.
Send several photos of the location, the damage and how easy it is to remove normally.
Mention you've contacted the manufacturer who have asked to deal with them directly, initially.
Invite them to look at the location and damage.

If no response or a negative response, then send the same information to the manufacturer explaining the response or lack of.
If the manufacturer's response is also negative ask for a "Deadlock letter" and ask which dispute scheme they are a member of (used to be Retrail Ombudsman but it's various not for profit Orgs now)

An example; https://www.retailadr.org.uk/

Reply to Damage to my kitchen when dishwasher was being repaired in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net