Discuss Decomissioned gas pipe as a bonding conductor? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think about using decommissioned gas pipe which is welded throughout and 4" industrial in steel.

I am clear on regs that say you cannot utilise a gas, oil or water pipe as a bonding conductor but this would effectively safe a lot of time and money.

Could you use it as a conduit instead?

It's over 100m long with about 30 bends, trying to avoid an additional conductor run.
I cannot see any issue as long as I note it on the cert and clearly label its use as such at the clamps.

If it is truly de-commissioned, i.e. blown out N2 or compressed air and then left open, then its just a big pipe , however , there is the possibility of it being put back into service a few years later, for example.
You could replace all the Gas marker tape with the electrical equivalent and then claim it. If its painted yellow, then overpaint with black.
Just a few ideas... :)

It's empty now sealed, in a void 90% of way so ain't painting, marking or anything else, gas will not be used in the building unless it changes hands and changes use and that would be down to them to then sort, it will be clearly identified for its use both ends and on the certs

It's empty now sealed, in a void 90% of way so ain't painting, marking or anything else, gas will not be used in the building unless it changes hands and changes use and that would be down to them to then sort, it will be clearly identified for its use both ends and on the certs
The only thing in GN8 is that non-copper conductors used in a PME situation require a nod to the DNO for approval, other than that if you're meeting the eq CSA then I'd say go for it, just make sure it's labelled the hell out of!

The only thing in GN8 is that non-copper conductors used in a PME situation require a nod to the DNO for approval, other than that if you're meeting the eq CSA then I'd say go for it, just make sure it's labelled the hell out of!
TNS is what I am blessed with, I was kinda confident in it been ok just thought I'd field it out to the forum given it ain't your common use of a 4" pipe.

Reply to Decomissioned gas pipe as a bonding conductor? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net