Discuss Dental work and COVID #whine in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm in the unlucky position of having issues with my teeth causing agonising pain but being unable to have anything done about it without IV sedation.

I've tried getting hold of emergency dentists but no luck at all and even when I do speak with them they can't do a damn thing; they explain what they would normally do; root canal, extractions and the like but I simply can't have work done while I'm conscious; it would not be safe for them more than anything - Extremely aggressive needle phobia, coupled with extremely pathetic pain threshold - You can understand why sedation is needed, for me and them.

I've had x-rays and a plan of action previously agreed (sedation referral) but now COVID has hit I can't get anything done (apparently missed the referral window but had zero contact from them), in the meanwhile I'm here in agony, did not sleep at all last night due to the pain, taken all manor of painkillers, stopping just shy of morphine.

I'm going to try again in the morning but over the feeling I'm stuck with this until COVID is over. I'm at my witts end and my poor partner and kids are in the firing line....

I suffered with a severe phobia of dentists for many years, to the point that I would get so worked up the local anaesthetic didn't work.

Hypnotherapy sorted it to the point I almost fall asleep in the chair.

If you've got issues that are causing pain as you describe, it should be considered urgent work which has not been suspended.

I feel ya pain @Lister1987 id rather have a punch in the nose than toothache! Just to lighten the mood.....my sister has a needle phobia to the point she instantly passes out when she sees one.....so she lays in the chair dentist gets the needle out she passes out job done ?......on a serious note though this definitely falls under emergency work especially considering your other ongoing illness mate, keep on at them I’m sure you will get treatment you need ?

If you are in a lot of pain and they have suggested root canal treatment or extraction it is possible your tooth has died and formed an abscess. If this is the case you must seek treatment as an abscess can be a highly dangerous situation and you may need antibiotics. Up until a few years ago I was like you terrified of dentists until I changed my dentist who understood my fear and things are now much better.

I just don’t like people poking around in my mouth. Needles are fine, regular blood donor.
I think it was when one dentist said I drank too much, that caused an aversion to even going.... I stopped seeing dentists for about 6 years.
I now go every 6 months, and touch wood, nothing serious.

I would think your situation should be essential work.

I had a filling last week and the dentist said they would carry on until told otherwise but if stopped he said they will be staffed for emergencies only.

For what it is worth, I had an abcess a few weeks ago. Likewise it was very painful. As is usual in our household we resorted in the first instance to home remedies. Which consist of two things. One is dental tincture, or clove oil the other is hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a very powerful anti bacterial and can be purchased at your chemist. It should be diluted as per instructions on the bottle for mouth rinse. Clove oil is at once disinfectant and anaesthetic. It is also possible to clamp down on a clove between the teeth. Of course I did attend a dentist asap, and tooth extraction proceeded. However the pain in the first instance was at least ameliorated until I could get an appointment. Clove oil should only be applied to the area of infection and avoid getting on the gum if possible. I hope that is of some value to you.

I never suffer with abcees I must be a lucky one the odd filling now and again. Maybe I have sweet tooth . so I dent put my head under the pillow just in case the tooth fairy's rip my vangs out. Lol.

tooth fairy is away at her sister's, the seal fairy. she on furlough due to lack of work.

Not withstanding your phobia, I had an abscess on a rear molar tooth, that antibiotics couldn’t help.

Bit apprehensive, but had tooth out with just local. Popped out like pea from a pod.

I feel for you Lister...
I've had a tooth clinging on against all odds for 2 years now, causing no pain but really due to be removed.
When did it start to cause problems? 4 days ago, just after my dentist closed down his practice, of course.
As Vortigern said, hydrogen peroxide seems to be a good palliative measure, and available from your local chemist.
My personal method for relief is 3-fold
1. Rinse with hot, salty water, as warm as you can and plenty of salt.
2. Spray with Corsodyl, also available from the chemist (easier to use than hydrogen peroxide)
3. Ibuprofen

I have got great relief from the above measures, lasting most of the day, repeated before bed in the hope of getting a good night's sleep.

I must stress, I am not qualified in any way on medical or dental matters, but my dentist friends have all told me that if this works for me then it's ok.

However, I use Ibuprofen because it is an anti-inflammatory, in hope of reducing the swelling. It seems to work well for me. ..BUT there is stuff on the internet about not using it for relief of pain in a coronavirus situation because it lowers the body's immune system, which is why paracetamol is recommended instead.

I am in isolation, have no symptoms, so feel it's fine for me, and the relief is so welcome that I am happy to take whatever small risk there may be.

As also said before, your situation IS essential treatment. Here in my area I would go to the Dental Hospital and bang on the door. Do you have a local hospital with dental facilities? Or can you find one and travel?
Good luck.

My misses works in administration in NHS, also working with dental services.

She‘s told me off before now for commenting on her behalf on here.

However she says, OUR local dental services are still running urgent dental work, but not through private practices.

Not withstanding you had treatment planned through your local practice, you should ring them and follow their recorded measures for urgent treatment or check through your Trusts web site. They should have provision for a clinic that caters for persons with special needs or vulnerable persons during this current crisis.

Tried 111, they can't help as I'm registered with a dentist, called the dentist and got automated we are closed messaging, 111 advised to call back at 0800 tomorrow but can't advise if any practices with sedation will be open - No point getting an appointment if I can't be sedated, it would not be safe for either party and the slot could go to someone more in need, not saying I'm not but I know there will be others put there in worse state than me that could be worked on...

We'll see what Tommorrow brings...

but would the sedation be from a hit with the pan or his wife's cooking? :p :p :p

tooth fairy is away at her sister's, the seal fairy. she on furlough due to lack of work.
She is still working in Ireland, and we are in total lockdown, your not allowed to leave 2km from your home

Attachments

• Dental work and COVID #whine Screenshot_20200327-225745_Chrome - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20200327-225745_Chrome.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
what about pre dentist days .where they tied a piece of string round tooth ,tied other end to door knob, and guess what ???????????/ yep slammed door shut:coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

Update:
Phoned my dentist last night
He came round this morning and jagged me with anaesthetic and pulled the offending tooth out
3 large gins later and I'm feeling no pain

He wore a mask, obviously i couldn't! Total time within 2 metres was less than a minute, so risk at a minimum...
I am fortunate that he is a friend, and clearly a good one...

Reply to Dental work and COVID #whine in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock