Discuss Dental work and COVID #whine in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tried 111, they can't help as I'm registered with a dentist, called the dentist and got automated we are closed messaging, 111 advised to call back at 0800 tomorrow but can't advise if any practices with sedation will be open - No point getting an appointment if I can't be sedated, it would not be safe for either party and the slot could go to someone more in need, not saying I'm not but I know there will be others put there in worse state than me that could be worked on...

We'll see what Tommorrow brings...
You ok Lister?

I'm in the unlucky position of having issues with my teeth causing agonising pain but being unable to have anything done about it without IV sedation.

I've tried getting hold of emergency dentists but no luck at all and even when I do speak with them they can't do a damn thing; they explain what they would normally do; root canal, extractions and the like but I simply can't have work done while I'm conscious; it would not be safe for them more than anything - Extremely aggressive needle phobia, coupled with extremely pathetic pain threshold - You can understand why sedation is needed, for me and them.

I've had x-rays and a plan of action previously agreed (sedation referral) but now COVID has hit I can't get anything done (apparently missed the referral window but had zero contact from them), in the meanwhile I'm here in agony, did not sleep at all last night due to the pain, taken all manor of painkillers, stopping just shy of morphine.

I'm going to try again in the morning but over the feeling I'm stuck with this until COVID is over. I'm at my witts end and my poor partner and kids are in the firing line....
I am in the same situation, phoned up the dentist the appointment books have been closed till June,no emergency, but they said if I need they will give me antibiotics, gargling with salt water which has helped the pain, and a shot of whisky on the tooth.

Update:
Phoned my dentist last night
He came round this morning and jagged me with anaesthetic and pulled the offending tooth out
3 large gins later and I'm feeling no pain

He wore a mask, obviously i couldn't! Total time within 2 metres was less than a minute, so risk at a minimum...
I am fortunate that he is a friend, and clearly a good one...
I thought pirates pulled out their own teeth ?? anyway... what's with the gin ? shouldn't it be rum ??

I'm in the unlucky position of having issues with my teeth causing agonising pain but being unable to have anything done about it without IV sedation.

I've tried getting hold of emergency dentists but no luck at all and even when I do speak with them they can't do a damn thing; they explain what they would normally do; root canal, extractions and the like but I simply can't have work done while I'm conscious; it would not be safe for them more than anything - Extremely aggressive needle phobia, coupled with extremely pathetic pain threshold - You can understand why sedation is needed, for me and them.

I've had x-rays and a plan of action previously agreed (sedation referral) but now COVID has hit I can't get anything done (apparently missed the referral window but had zero contact from them), in the meanwhile I'm here in agony, did not sleep at all last night due to the pain, taken all manor of painkillers, stopping just shy of morphine.

I'm going to try again in the morning but over the feeling I'm stuck with this until COVID is over. I'm at my witts end and my poor partner and kids are in the firing line....
If you get toothache "OIL OF CLOVE" is a good remedy cheaper than Whiskey as well

I am in the same situation, phoned up the dentist the appointment books have been closed till June,no emergency, but they said if I need they will give me antibiotics, gargling with salt water which has helped the pain, and a shot of whisky on the tooth.

Hope tooth ache goes away, not pleasant.

As per my #12, wife works for NHS and provides support for our local trust dental services. All our dental services should now have provision for emergency dental treatment. Things should now be in place. But not necessarily at the local practice.

If yours is not playing the game, you should try NHS 111.

I had an abscess on a tooth, it didn’t respond to two consecutive treatments of antibiotics, and had to have it removed. As Westwood said, an abscess on a tooth can be dangerous.

Hope tooth ache goes away, not pleasant.

As per my #12, wife works for NHS and provides support for our local trust dental services. All our dental services should now have provision for emergency dental treatment. Things should now be in place. But not necessarily at the local practice.

If yours is not playing the game, you should try NHS 111.

I had an abscess on a tooth, it didn’t respond to two consecutive treatments of antibiotics, and had to have it removed. As Westwood said, an abscess on a tooth can be dangerous.
Thanks for that Middy, I know it can be dangerous,will keep an eye on it cheers.

HI just an update, well visited the dentist last Wednesday, the situation at my surgery is they are doing temporary fillings and tooth extractions only on the NHS, I had a temp put in , took an xray, but the dentist told me could do any treatment on the private books. lol

HI just an update, well visited the dentist last Wednesday, the situation at my surgery is they are doing temporary fillings and tooth extractions only on the NHS, I had a temp put in , took an xray, but the dentist told me could do any treatment on the private books. lol
Happy to catch something dangerous for the higher rate then! ?

My dentist friend visited me for a socially-distanced lemonade a couple of days ago. He is totally constrained by the rules imposed by the health authority. He works only 2 days a week, and has to set aside 1 hour for each patient. That's 20 minutes to see the patient, 20 minutes for the aircon/scrubbers to clear the air, and then 20 minutes for him/his nurse to disinfect all surfaces etc.
He is prohibited from drilling or using any equipment that creates an aerosol effect including the irrigator and suction systems, and can basically fit a temporary filling or extract a tooth where no bleeding is likely, and that's it.
he has to wear a face-mask, underneath a shield-mask, two plastic aprons and 2 pairs of surgical gloves, all of which is disposed of and replaced for the next patient. NHS or private, it's the same rules. However, it appears that he may be allowed to get back to normal working in 2 weeks from now...depending on Covid figures.
Yes, that PPE has to be paid for...

My dentist friend visited me for a socially-distanced lemonade a couple of days ago.

youmean a white rum disguised as lemonade???

Reply to Dental work and COVID #whine in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock