Discuss Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Congratz people :) ! @Simons - big weight off my shoulders- I thought I scraped a pass. Cant wait to get stuck into the project now.. cant believe I haven't even started it yet :(

Started the project the other day, and got a few questions about random stuff that people might be able to help me on. Can we fix onto steel cladding (ceiling) ? some of my lights are high bay fittings (fittings I have found weigh 4kg)...and majority of the fittings do not line up with girders (as I was going to use the girder to hang from). The reason I ask if we can fix and hang from steel cladding is because when I had a look online, it seems pretty thin...has anyone had experience fixing and hanging lights from steel cladding? (exterior has a pvc membrane on the steel cladding- so drilling it wont make a hole for water to drip into) - another question that I asked my tutor but he hasn't replied yet is, when im adding grouping factors to containment - do I take the worse case and use that figure in my calcs ? (example - I have a run that passes through 3 different containment runs. one of the containment runs has 2 circuits in it, another containment has 3 circuits in it and the main containment "spine run" as such- has 6 circuits in it ... when working out my calcs, do I apply the Cg with the worse case containment?) I havnt come to working out calcs yet, im just making my routes...so I am aware that the 6 circuits wont all need to be added the calc, because a few of them have jack **** loading on them. Hope this paragraph makes sense :) cheers

Fixing to the sheet roof will not be acceptable. If you span between girders/RSJs with a couple of lengths of unistrut you will gain more flexibility for positions to hang fittings from.

Yes the most onerous grouping factor applies with relevance to the installation method. Take note of table 4C1 for example and note that the value of Cg for 12 circuits for methods A to F is 0.45 but for method E is 0.72.

Note 9 under table 4C1 is very worth noting as you point out, and could be a reason for upping the size of cables to be able to include them in this clause. This reason would have to be noted in your project as the minimum calculated size for any circuit is expected to be used unless reasonably stated otherwise.

Started the project the other day, and got a few questions about random stuff that people might be able to help me on. Can we fix onto steel cladding (ceiling) ? some of my lights are high bay fittings (fittings I have found weigh 4kg)...and majority of the fittings do not line up with girders (as I was going to use the girder to hang from). The reason I ask if we can fix and hang from steel cladding is because when I had a look online, it seems pretty thin...has anyone had experience fixing and hanging lights from steel cladding? (exterior has a pvc membrane on the steel cladding- so drilling it wont make a hole for water to drip into) - another question that I asked my tutor but he hasn't replied yet is, when im adding grouping factors to containment - do I take the worse case and use that figure in my calcs ? (example - I have a run that passes through 3 different containment runs. one of the containment runs has 2 circuits in it, another containment has 3 circuits in it and the main containment "spine run" as such- has 6 circuits in it ... when working out my calcs, do I apply the Cg with the worse case containment?) I havnt come to working out calcs yet, im just making my routes...so I am aware that the 6 circuits wont all need to be added the calc, because a few of them have jack **** loading on them. Hope this paragraph makes sense :) cheers

Hi

I Cg is always a contentious area, strictly speaking its only for cable of the same size and loading, there are methods, whether your lecturer and cg will accept them im not sure, that said 2.3.3 of appendix 4 will support . A simple formula is given in app 4 2.3.3.1.

Cheers

Thanks to you both for your replies - how do you guys think of this: between the steels - Im putting uni-strut from east to west of the building (fixed to the steel main frame) and using threaded rod to drop to lights. Only issue now is containment. I looked on uni-struts website - and have seen that you can buy lid to put on it to contain cables. Uni-strut with lid .... would I use ref method as trunking?

Hi

I Cg is always a contentious area, strictly speaking its only for cable of the same size and loading, there are methods, whether your lecturer and cg will accept them im not sure, that said 2.3.3 of appendix 4 will support . A simple formula is given in app 4 2.3.3.1.

Cheers

Hi

Just to note, this statement refers to table 4C1

Cheers

Has anyone still got a copy of their project?
I've not done the 2396, and to be honest I'm nowhere near ready to do it.

But I'm bored pooless and wouldn't mind having a nose on a completed project.

Has anyone still got a copy of their project?
I've not done the 2396, and to be honest I'm nowhere near ready to do it.

But I'm bored pooless and wouldn't mind having a nose on a completed project.

I have some of the 2396 past papers if that floats your lockdown boat?

PM me your email and I will send them over.

I have some of the 2396 past papers if that floats your lockdown boat?

PM me your email and I will send them over.
Hi hope youre keeping safe and well. Any past papers for 2396 would be super useful especially when theres little else to do right now. Please PM me, thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All
Currently attempting the 2023 2396 design course & the project is a small library also. Does C&G reuse their projects? From what i have been reading in this thread it seems like the same exact project, with the same type of roofing mentioned along with the single DB in the intake room. There is no requirement for lumen calculation, along with heating & ventialtion & fire alarm which is being done by other designers for the project.
Im currently getting ready for the test which is in December & seem to be scoring ok on the previous test papers ive managed to get from the training centre, but there is little to no extra help, now the course is over & absolutely zero help from the centre with the project. Not the best training centre to be honest & although my lecturer was decent enough bloke, there's been next to no help after the fact & this is causing me some concern.
If anyone has any tips or examples of previous projects, this would be really appreciated.
Cheers.

S.

Hello All
Currently attempting the 2023 2396 design course & the project is a small library also. Does C&G reuse their projects? From what i have been reading in this thread it seems like the same exact project, with the same type of roofing mentioned along with the single DB in the intake room. There is no requirement for lumen calculation, along with heating & ventialtion & fire alarm which is being done by other designers for the project.
Im currently getting ready for the test which is in December & seem to be scoring ok on the previous test papers ive managed to get from the training centre, but there is little to no extra help, now the course is over & absolutely zero help from the centre with the project. Not the best training centre to be honest & although my lecturer was decent enough bloke, there's been next to no help after the fact & this is causing me some concern.
If anyone has any tips or examples of previous projects, this would be really appreciated.
Cheers.

S.
Hi Speeka,

Yes brings back of few memories. Not much support for the 2396 compared with the info available for say the 2391, or whatever it is called these days....

One book that I found useful is

Seems to be updated for the 18th edition now

Reply to Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net