Discuss Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello, I did the 2396 exam the other week. I thought it was intense. Felt I did the best that I could of done. There was a few questions I know I've got wrong and a couple big ones that I struggled to get the information for. But then again there was a lot of smaller mark questions which I thought I did ok on. So can't really say how well I feel I've done. Just praying for a pass.
How did you find it ?

Sorry mate, I have only just seen that you have replied to this. Ill keep hold of your email... haha... I still havn't started yet :( !! trying to balance work and personal life.... and to try and squeeze this in :( ! but I have booked off the end of may (12 days of work) ! - im aiming to get atleast 8 hours a day - for 12 days....and see how far that gets me! ... Along side a nice bottle of rum I think ! - how are you getting on?? in my head im semi planning it out... think im going to do separate drawings for power, lighting, power containment & lighting containment - just so it looks neater and easier to understand ! - maybe start drawing the cable runs soon, then leave the hard stuff for my days off !

I did this and it does look better, I would recommend doing the cable routes first so its easier to plan where to put your wiring enclosures. I did all my cable routes on A1 plans for the scale and the wiring enclosures on A3. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Neil

Ah - I have printed a lot of A4 duplicates - do you think this would be too small? - Also - I want to use the figures and values from BS:7671 for my cable ratings and breaker D/Times - but in the project, I need to show what brand/make of breakers and cables I am using. Would you state at the start of the project that I am using 7671 instead of the brands D/Times and cable ratings etc ? - For example, if I use Wylex breakers... I know I can gather info about the MCB that would differ from 7671... but id rather just stick to the book (Even if the 7671 is OTT with its figures and values)

Yeah I think so, but maybe your tutor may say different, the wiring enclosure should not need to be scale so A4 would be ok but the cable routes should be, to work out your cable calcs, Zs etc.

I used BS7671 tables, but again your tutor/assessor may say different.

Tutor said its up to us, he said that we could get better and more accurate results/values if we use the manufactures information about the cable/breaker .. but he said we could also use the book.. The 2016 project is only a small library - I think if it was slightly bigger, with a fair few sub boards - I would use information from the cable manufacture etc - but I think im going to settle for 7671 :) - He also said A4 is fine, A1 drawing is only to scale our runs etc.. but I wasn't sure if it would look 'ok' on A4 - or if I had to up it to A3

I have just got to "get into it" then haha :) - yeah I agree - this project doesn't seem that hard compared to others out there! - Don't have to do any EM lights or PV with this project (Unlike the petrol station the project before this one). No sub boards, just the 1. So I guess im kind of happy that I have been given an easy one - but disappointed that its not going to 'test' me... as such. If that makes sense haha

Yeah totally understand mate, I completed the 236 C Course in 2004 and the course lasted the best part of a year, it had a load of design projects and was tough. I didn't really need the level 4 2396 but I thought I would do it to see if there is anything I can learn and get a better understanding of how the course should be run for my job. Needless to say I learnt maybe one thing probably due to the course being taught poorly and was disappointed in the end.

The training centre I went too - I learnt a lot from. Really good training centre. They showed us previous projects etc (before we got given the library) - and they looked tough and fun, and required a lot of work. How are you getting on with library now? Much progress?

How many hours has it taken? - as I cant imagine it taking as many hours as the other projects. I have booked 12 days off- just hoping its enough time if I spend 8 hours a day (for 12 days) :)

Jake, you mention about only using the one distribution board which is on the drawing, I'm struggling to get within the volt drop limits for the longer circuits without having ridiculous cable sizes, the only way I can see past it is by adding a distribution board toward the middle of the library, unless I'm doing something totally wrong :-s Let me know how you get on.
Jordan.

I used three, the main DB to supply two 3 phase distribution circuits to two DBs, which I put in the store room for easy access to authorised staff in the even of power needed to be isolated or switched on.

That's what I'm looking at doing, two sub DB'S one for downstairs one for upstairs. Except I was going to mount the boards more towards the center of the library, on one of the steels.

What size cables have you ended up with for your power circuits if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't know we could add DB's ! - I thought we could only go by what is on the drawing

I emailed our tutor the other day to confirm that we can add more boards and he said yes, as long as we meet the requirements listed in parts A,B and C. He said we have a free hand to decide the design of the installation.

I emailed our tutor the other day to confirm that we can add more boards and he said yes, as long as we meet the requirements listed in parts A,B and C. He said we have a free hand to decide the design of the installation.
That's handy to know then. Not sure if you have read the previous comments in the thread...but I have not yet started. I have 12 days at the end of May booked off work, to hit it hard :) as beginning of June, my tutor wants my first draft... the feedback I get from him, I can list on here. How are you finding the project so far??

That's handy to know then. Not sure if you have read the previous comments in the thread...but I have not yet started. I have 12 days at the end of May booked off work, to hit it hard :) as beginning of June, my tutor wants my first draft... the feedback I get from him, I can list on here. How are you finding the project so far??

Yeah with 12 days off you should be able to have a good go at it. When I first started it I was struggling on it but now I've added another DB things seem to be going alright with regards to grouping and volt drop. I work away all week so struggling to find the time!

Yeah with 12 days off you should be able to have a good go at it. When I first started it I was struggling on it but now I've added another DB things seem to be going alright with regards to grouping and volt drop. I work away all week so struggling to find the time!
Not all circuits have to be added to the grouping factor though (if they supply something under a certain amount of amps - don't ask me what, I havnt got my books on me haha) what circuits are struggling with voltdrops?? the lighting? as in my head I was going to install a klick system and increase the csa. Also, looking at the drawings, I wasn't going to have any rings, just stick to radials. Obviously im saying all these ideas, but not actually started the project and calculations, so my ideas might get flushed haha!

Not all circuits have to be added to the grouping factor though (if they supply something under a certain amount of amps - don't ask me what, I havnt got my books on me haha) what circuits are struggling with voltdrops?? the lighting? as in my head I was going to install a klick system and increase the csa. Also, looking at the drawings, I wasn't going to have any rings, just stick to radials. Obviously im saying all these ideas, but not actually started the project and calculations, so my ideas might get flushed haha!

Yes your right if the cable is not expected to carry more than 30% of its grouped rated current it can be discounted from further grouping. Well so far I have only done the socket outlet circuits and desks, the length of run including all the drops eetc was pretty big if I took them from the original DB. Yeah I'm sticking to radials mate to keep it as simple as I can, I'm only a few hours into the project my self, got a full day on it Friday hopefully see some progress.

Yes your right if the cable is not expected to carry more than 30% of its grouped rated current it can be discounted from further grouping. Well so far I have only done the socket outlet circuits and desks, the length of run including all the drops eetc was pretty big if I took them from the original DB. Yeah I'm sticking to radials mate to keep it as simple as I can, I'm only a few hours into the project my self, got a full day on it Friday hopefully see some progress.

Drops? You running the cables in the ceiling void? not underground? - Where did you put your sub board? as if I was to put one in, im thinking on the pillar near reception desk

Hi

Ring circuits have better volt drop capacity, just state an evenly distributed load and add a 0.25 factor to your volt drop equation, again for lighting if the load is pretty much evenly distributed, assuming a radial circuit use a factor of 0.5 in your volt drop equation.

Cheers

Reply to Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net