Discuss design current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hodaire

how do i work out the design current for an installation, i have allowed for the diversity on sockets, lights and cooker

2 ring mains - 32 + 13 a
1 10kw cooker 20 a
1 10kw shower 45a
1 3kw immersion 13 a
1 light circit (10 lights 100w) 3 a

is my design current really going to be 126amps?

Hi

House or Flat?

I've worked it out about 75amps indicative using the rule of thumb method, how are you going to layout your circuits, you should have two lighting circuits for 17th compliance and split the 10 lights up into 2 * 5 lights to reduce the risk of tripping RCD/RCBO.

regards

Hey all.

How are we arriving at our figures?? I get 77A just with the shower and first ring circuit i.e no diversity and 100% of first ring circuit respectively.??

I have just applied the diversity allowed in the on site guide (OSG) appendix 1 and the result comes out as 119 amps (assuming 250V as the voltage), will obviously be higher if you assume 230V.

realistically I would put this on a 100A main breaker.
for now lets ignor the splitting of the lights into 2 circuits or any other installation matters.

agreed that his does seem like a big demand.

what doe the others think?

Hi

I used the 40% of the overcurrent method, as this method in my experience comes closer than the osg diversity factors in flats and small houses. Lets say the house was three bedrooms plus I would revert to the osg rules as I think these would be closer to figure. More often than not connected single loads on maximum run on 50 to 70% of there rated loads.

Andekoch just brought up the circuit division as more domestic properties have failed on this, ten fold than they have on maximum demand one year on for the 17th edition meeting in London.

I know this method I have used might not sit well with everyone what do you guys think.

regards

hi,random question here,i have wired 14 50w down lights,is it ok to put them on 6amp mcb or should i uppgrade to 10amp?what is the maximum on a 6amp/10amp braker...14 to many??

Hi everyone

Come on everyone think about all this Diversity what is it ????????????

It is an allowance that is used to give BASIC information and if things are high it make you look at the overall design of the installtion.

Do you have to have a 45 amp shower? could it be reduced to a power shower ?

If the loading is such a big problem should you be looking at a three phase supply?

Diversity is the fact that everything may not be used at the same time

hodaire if you stick to that then it will be that but after all it is only guidance

try to think beyond the box look at the overall installation look at and make an informed decision

will all lighting be 100 watts like to see you get a 100 watt bc lamp now low energy everywhere ok there are halogens etc

This was one of the fundamental thoughts behind the recent design project i did for the 2391-20 course in december reduce the load by using energy saving appilancres etc takes down design currents etc.

hope this little rant helps

cheers

Hi mad

That's the job of a EPC assessor not a sparkie, he wants to work out the maximum load not stop the ice caps from melting...

Regards

Hi

I used the 40% of the overcurrent method, as this method in my experience comes closer than the osg diversity factors in flats and small houses. Lets say the house was three bedrooms plus I would revert to the osg rules as I think these would be closer to figure. More often than not connected single loads on maximum run on 50 to 70% of there rated loads.

Andekoch just brought up the circuit division as more domestic properties have failed on this, ten fold than they have on maximum demand one year on for the 17th edition meeting in London.

I know this method I have used might not sit well with everyone what do you guys think.

I agree with Electro (and the other comments) the calculation should be done as per a standard method eg the OSG and the result interpereted (this is where experience come into the picture). The type of proprety will also make a difference (same reason that the OSG has different diversity tables for houses, shops etc).
You should clearly note how you arrived at your decision and not simply write max demand = 119A on the installation form and then install a 100A main switch.

Hi everyone

Come on everyone think about all this Diversity what is it ????????????

It is an allowance that is used to give BASIC information and if things are high it make you look at the overall design of the installtion.

Do you have to have a 45 amp shower? could it be reduced to a power shower ?

If the loading is such a big problem should you be looking at a three phase supply?

Diversity is the fact that everything may not be used at the same time

hodaire if you stick to that then it will be that but after all it is only guidance

try to think beyond the box look at the overall installation look at and make an informed decision

will all lighting be 100 watts like to see you get a 100 watt bc lamp now low energy everywhere ok there are halogens etc

This was one of the fundamental thoughts behind the recent design project i did for the 2391-20 course in december reduce the load by using energy saving appilancres etc takes down design currents etc.

hope this little rant helps

cheers

Have to say I agree with Maddfridge on this one.

I am as guilty as the next man following the regs to the letter .With out actually thinking about why

Probably more to do with working for firms where the thinking is done for you as opposed to working for

your self and doing just that EVERYTHING for your self.

Reply to design current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock