Discuss Different phases in offices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Starting to sound like DW Cockburn and his 415V shocks from frayed appliance flexes touching things while the suspended ceiling grid is live from faulty lights on another phase!

Don't know off hand but will check regs when back in the office.
May even be excluded in the 18th now but regardless of that, always seemed 'good practice' to prevent simultaneous contact!
And the 17th I believe

This is from the first 16th Ed (1991) and gives requirements for necessary notices. There is no Regulation prohibiting socket outlets in close proximity being on different phases.Different phases in offices 20190330_140349 - EletriciansForums.net

used to be, back in the day, (16th ed. i think) it was advised not to have 2 separate phase outlets within 6 ft. of each other. this went down the drain along with the "Danger 415v".

try telling this guy:

There is nowt in the 16th Ed which prohihits this. The common rule I suspect came about that if all accessories and equipment in a local area are common to one phase then the need for notices was not required.

Lighting used to be spread across phases to lessen the stroboscopic effect
I wouldn't have said that matters in office installations. With 3 phase, it's all about perception of moving or rotating machine parts. In offices it's 'flicker' problems and frequency modulation may come into play.

I wouldn't have said that matters in office installations. With 3 phase, it's all about perception of moving or rotating machine parts. In offices it's 'flicker' problems and frequency modulation may come into play.
I know, its mainly done in factories where there is moving machinery like lathes etc etc,

The most annoying thing in an office is the person with the bouncing leg as your monitor continuously wobbles.......

Being able to pick out the three phases in an office is useful for programming three phase equipment, for when there is no fork lift driver available to carry out the IBM AT with monochrome display to the shop floor that you’ve been supplied with to do the job.

Socket outlets simultaneously accessible when on different phases?
When the OP says different rings, I'm assuming he is referring to the socket outlets.
If he is referring to the actual cabling then maybe no problem.
But you can only plug one plug into 1 socket at a time, it's not as if you can play a monitor into 2 separate sockets at once and somehow put 400v through it. Is be very interested to hear a reg number also unless there's a hoover out there with 2 plugs hanging out of it I wouldn't worry

Reply to Different phases in offices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock