Discuss Dimplex XL18N tripping RCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

fluggy

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

DIY requesting help with diagnosing problem

My mother's storage heater has developed a fault after turning it back on for winter.

It trips the Consumer unit rcd when power switched on.

Initially I thought most likely an issue with an element. I removed all 3 elements and tested resistance, one was 64ohm (ok) the other two were no good. So I got 3 new elements and measured those (ok). Fitted them and it still has the same issue.

I have also checked the wire from the wall switch to the input at the bottom of the heater.

Further to this if I turn the input charge stat down it clicks off and I can switch it on without tripping, when I turn it up it clicks and trips out.

I run out of time today and had to leave it, also being a heater on a timed circuit it only had power for a few hours in the afternoon.

Would this likely be a problem with the button cutout switch or the stat, would they usually cause that problem when they fail?

Do I just bypass them for a test only, by disconnecting and linking the switched live at the stat/cutout to see if it stops tripping the RCD

It looks like the stat and cutout have been superseded by an all in one stat/cutout kit. Don't want to buy it until I know its needed.

Thanks

TL;DR
Storage heater trips RCD, new elements fitted, still have issue, could it be input stat/cutout.
Last edited:

Reply to Dimplex XL18N tripping RCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hi all, There's 2 single fan ovens in the house my mother recently moved into. Posh elecronic AEG units. It's been sat empty for a year, so the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I swapped a 2 gang switched socket for a 2 gang switchless socket with usb ports downstairs. I switched off all the power to the house by...
Replies
Views
I'm not an electrician. I clean cookers and today arrived to a rangemaster range cooker. Got started, and as part of my routine, I turn on ovens...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock