Discuss Disconnected wires in wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm looking to redo my kitchen early next year and am hoping to remove a defunct central heating timer from the wall and replaster. Once the timer is removed there will just be an exposed T+E from the wall which is disconnected (tied in a knot and buried in insulation) at the other end near where old boiler was positioned.

My question - can I simply chop the exposed T+E back as far as cutters will go and have the hole filled and plastered?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

If it is definitely disconnected both ends and made safe so it can never be made live then yes.

If you are certain it cannot be reenergised. If it can’t be removed... pulled out... etc I’d be tempted to connect all the cores together before burying it.

That way, if someone finds this unused cable in the future and tests it, wondering what it does, it’ll show them a dead short.
If the cores are left disconnected from each other, the testing would show the cable as “healthy” and someone may use it

Reply to Disconnected wires in wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views
Extractor fan is currently wired to light switch. Plan to remove this wiring and wire to timer switch will have new cable run and new wall box...
Replies
Views
For various reasons out of my control, we have wound up in a situation where we have 1.5mm SWA cables buried in these pillars and exiting out of...
Replies
Views
Before I pay an electrician to come check my work, I thought it worth a post here. I don't want to pay the cost of a small car for a whole-house...
Replies
Views
Hi all. This is my first post on here so hopefully some of you will be able to suggest something other than my ideas. Worked as a spark for 19...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock