Discuss Dishwasher stopped working, so opened it up... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I understand the red plastic bit (door catch microswitch bit) can be replaced, but my question is more about the white, burnt out terminal thing (sorry dont know the correct term) and if that is what the faulty bit is/was ?

You should find a replacement microswitch fairly easily as a spare for that machine, but likely they won't supply the white connector.
If you can't find a source, you could use crimp connectors to do the job, but you must ensure a good connection, so a ratchet crimp tool is essential. Not that I'm recommending this particular kit, but something of this sort with a ratchet tool could do it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulated-Terminal-Preciva-Electrician-Connectors/dp/B0BCNXZJF4/ref=sr_1_5?
(Red spade connectors probably required)
You will need to cut back the brown wire a fair bit to ensure you crimp on shiny copper that has not been affected by the heat.

Thanks for the advice.
I have sourced a microswitch at around £10-15.
I will look into getting a connector or if not try the crimp tool you suggest.
Would you know what the correct name of a connector like that is ?

Also, do you you reckon it is because the microswitch failed that caused the burning?

Also, do you you reckon it is because the microswitch failed that caused the burning?
I suspect it was the connector loose (or the idc connection with the wire?), not the microswitch.

I'm afraid I have no idea what that enclosed twin female push-on spade connector might be called!
mind you, googling what I just wrote gives this (not the exact one I fear!)

Last edited:
You won't find that assembly with the two terminals in the plastic cage you'll have to use two normal separate crimp terminals. You need 6.3mm female 'faston' insulated crimp terminals. Not sure the best place in the UK to get them, maybe try Farnell if they're still around. Pick up a cheapy crimper wherever you get the terminals from.

You won't find that assembly with the two terminals in the plastic cage you'll have to use two normal separate crimp terminals. You need 6.3mm female 'faston' insulated crimp terminals. Not sure the best place in the UK to get them, maybe try Farnell if they're still around. Pick up a cheapy crimper wherever you get the terminals from.
Brilliant -cheers for the (much needed) info

I suspect it was the connector loose (or the idc connection with the wire?), not the microswitch.

Makes sense as for a few weeks it would go on and off when moving the outside panel.
I thought it could've been a loose wire, but never got round to looking at it, until now.
cheers

Update- got the wires stripped and crimp connected- but still no joy.
Could it be the reddy brown terminal that the wires connect to (on the door catch) ?
i could by a new door catch and try that, or even a new terminal board (for £30)- though that seems undamaged.

Dishwasher has been great and I am loathe to replace it due to some easily fixable electrical fault.
Not sure if its worth the effort or not now.

Update- got the wires stripped and crimp connected- but still no joy.
Could it be the reddy brown terminal that the wires connect to (on the door catch) ?
i could by a new door catch and try that, or even a new terminal board (for £30)- though that seems undamaged.

Dishwasher has been great and I am loathe to replace it due to some easily fixable electrical fault.
Not sure if its worth the effort or not now.
Could it be the reddy brown terminal that the wires connect to (on the door catch) ? Yes

I was under the impression you were going to replace the microswitch as well (Your post #4).
By making my comment about maybe it was a loose connector being the problem, I didn't mean to put you off replacing the microswitch (the reddy-brown terminal)
Suggest that is the next step (or replace the whole catch).
You can check the switch with a meter, or connect those wires directly together (and insulate it) then turn the machine on and see if it works, but obviously it won't stop when you open the door, so that might be a problem 🤪

Could it be the reddy brown terminal that the wires connect to (on the door catch) ? Yes

I was under the impression you were going to replace the microswitch as well (Your post #4).
By making my comment about maybe it was a loose connector being the problem, I didn't mean to put you off replacing the microswitch (the reddy-brown terminal)
Suggest that is the next step (or replace the whole catch).
You can check the switch with a meter, or connect those wires directly together (and insulate it) then turn the machine on and see if it works, but obviously it won't stop when you open the door, so that might be a problem 🤪
Ah, ok- great info . Will get a new microswitch off ebay (they are less than a tenner) today and replace that also.
Still better than an engineer or new machine !
Thanks again.

Reply to Dishwasher stopped working, so opened it up... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net