Discuss Distribution board question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So is there anything wrong with fitting larger earth cables than a calculation says rule of thumb better to be safe than sorry

So is there anything wrong with fitting larger earth cables than a calculation says rule of thumb better to be safe than sorry

Absolutely nothing wrong with fitting larger than necessary.

I don't like blanket statements though, and following these "rules of thumbs" dumbs down the trade. There are rare instances where following that table will provide the wrong size. An so it is always better understanding the theory behind it to confirm.

There is nothing wrong with fitting a larger earth than required. What is wrong is stating that an installation is incorrect because it has a correctly sized earthing conductor rather than the oversized one you normally fit.

What is wrong with the earthing to prevail an emergency?
It is not the earthing I was on about it was the bitumen leaking as the OP stated
distribution head unit have overheated and melted quite a bit of black tar out the bottom edges
If that is the case I would definitely phone the DNO. In any event the cut out would not pass muster for me. I do not like the earth and if I did an adiabatic on that I have doubts it would pass. That is the earth on the TNS outer armouring. The earth floating looking like it should have a home is also somewhat suspect as I am not there I cannot say for sure but it looks like it has come off of the MET above it. In the state the picture shows the installation/cut out to be in I would be doubtful about replacing anything until I had satisfied myself that the earthing/bonding was as it should be. NOT as a matter of emergency just diligent application of regs and best practice

Hi Voltigern

I wasn’t happy with the size and condition of the earth on the armour, the bonding was disconnected from the MET when I went to view the job but was connected to the gas pipe and connected securely in the consumer unit so not a worry for the minute, the brass retaining bolt was missing or I would have reconnected.

My main worry was the amount of fresh tar that had oozed out of the joint hence the post, as per my message earlier the DNO must have had concerns over its safety as they initially said it would be replaced in the week, then it was being replaced by the end of this week and eventually they came back and replaced it today.

All now ready for me to go in and replace the consumer unit with an rcbo board after initial testing the installation

Regards

Lee

This is my take on why I was saying the earth cable wasn’t up to spec I was meaning the earth to the incoming sheathing shows in all parts of the on-site guide to be 16mm plus in table 4.4 (i) and 4.4(ii) all say minimum cross section of earthing conduct should be 16mm

Distribution board question EE6AB15D-DCBD-4BDF-86FE-0C3A35992F79 - EletriciansForums.net

Distribution board question FB28C82B-99A8-4C48-AEA1-1DD7ADDE3660 - EletriciansForums.net

This is my take on why I was saying the earth cable wasn’t up to spec I was meaning the earth to the incoming sheathing shows in all parts of the on-site guide to be 16mm plus in table 4.4 (i) and 4.4(ii) all say minimum cross section of earthing conduct should be 16mm

View attachment 48543

View attachment 48544

As stated previously, that table shows one way of calculating the size of a protective conductor, the method that errs on the side of caution and simplicity of instruction. That's why this method is shown in the on site guide.

The table references 543.1 next to it which you should read to understand why the information in the guide is just that, a guide.

Reply to Distribution board question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock