Discuss Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm needing new extension lead to power light and music centre and have plenty excess 6mm & 2.5mm and 6metres 1.5mm grey twin and earth cable, plugs, sockets and grommets etc. Have basic knowledge of electrics just wanting opinions on using 2.5mm twin and earth cable a new 13 amp plug and fuse and a full metal double socket and back box mounted onto piece of wood for stability the lead will run a straight 5metres along the floor and will supply max 250w. No need for rcd as supply socket is on rcd mcb in cu. But can add 1 if needed? Any opinions?

Not usually the standard cable to be used for an extension lead, but it will do the job if you must use it.
Might be a struggle getting the cores into the plug top though.

Go out and buy some proper flex.

This cables good for the job.

Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? 36CCF83E-3BFC-4EB9-A348-BD9788118CBB - EletriciansForums.net

Not usually the standard cable to be used for an extension lead, but it will do the job if you must use it.
Might be a struggle getting the cores into the plug top though.
It won't do. It's completely the wrong cable and wholly inappropriate for this application. Non-flexible cable isn't suitable for extension leads. Also it cannot be fitted into plugtops. Also plugtops are not designed to accept anything larger than 1.5mm^2. This is non-compliant with BS1363.

Every supermarket sells ready made flexible extension leads for a few pounds. Buy one next time you're out grocery shopping.

Thanks for all the replies. But why can't this 1.5mm twin and earth be used? as from the socket it will be clipped direct to skirting then the metal back box (secured onto piece of wood) would be screwed direct to the wall just above skirting in the basement the metal faceplate will obviously need earth lead and sheathed. It will never be moved unless being removed all together. Now without all the "buy a lead it's only couple pound"etc remarks can anyone advise me why this is unsafe dangerous etc? Yes I'm bothered saving couple quid and I'm not wasting cash on items that I can make with leftover crap in my lock up. Thanks for any info etc

Thanks for all the replies. But why can't this 1.5mm twin and earth be used? as from the socket it will be clipped direct to skirting then the metal back box (secured onto piece of wood) would be screwed direct to the wall just above skirting in the basement the metal faceplate will obviously need earth lead and sheathed. It will never be moved unless being removed all together. Now without all the "buy a lead it's only couple pound"etc remarks can anyone advise me why this is unsafe dangerous etc? Yes I'm bothered saving couple quid and I'm not wasting cash on items that I can make with leftover crap in my lock up. Thanks for any info etc

Please read post #5

Gone from home made extension lead to clipped direct possibly becoming radial or spur from existing circuit?? It might work but isnt kosher under the regs.

I'm not wasting cash on items that I can make with leftover crap in my lock up.
Send this to your house insurer and ask them to ratify it, in writing, so your cover isn't invalidated in the event of a subsequent fire.

What else do you have in the lockup available for improvisation? Perhaps a length of garden hose and an old watering can nozzle to make a new shower head for the bathroom?

Flat fixed wiring cable like your 1.5mm2 is NOT DESIGNED TO ACT AS A FLEXIBLE EXTENSION LEAD.

my crystal ball is telling me the OP isn't listening.......
You're right Mate, met plenty of these stuborn types when I was a box shifter at Electrifix:):rolleyes::D

From the IEE code of practice for the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:

"Non-flexible cable, such as twin-and-earth, should never be used for connecting an appliance or for an extension lead - the regular bending in use will damage the cable."

I should have thought that was pretty clear.

From the IEE code of practice for the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:

"Non-flexible cable, such as twin-and-earth, should never be used for connecting an appliance or for an extension lead - the regular bending in use will damage the cable."

Good point Adam, doubt very much if the OP has ever read the ISITEE CoP let alone have a copy.

my crystal ball is telling me the OP isn't listening.......

Are you saying the OP intentionally ignored post #5 and when reminded about it he spat his dummy out, sacked off our advice and is currently making the best extension lead ever?????

Reply to Diy extension lead 2.5mm twin &earth? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock