Discuss DIY TNCS - Advise Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNO will find out if/when they upgrade head and/or come out to sort summat......by then you`l be long gone.....you`v proved (hopefully) by both inspection AND testing that its good to go.....so whats up?.....just go with it and keep quiet as far as the DNO are concerned....you didn`t do it....you only inspected and tested it AS FOUND.....

This is an unsuitable connector for that application and as such could create a hazard at some point in the future. Whether you want to turn a blind eye to it and say "wasn't me" is up to you. Personally, I'd advise the customer that you believe it isn't correct and could cause a problem in the future. It's up to them then if they want to do anything about it, but at least you have tried. I don't agree with just walking away.

Just ring DNO, tell them you have a highish Ze and that the connection to their earth is loose or of poor condition. Then whilst waiting for them, loosen it a little.
I'm sure when they attend they'll remove and fit one of those constant pressure springs and an earthing braid.

Well the would round here anyway:crowngrin:

meanwhile , the installation is running with a loose earth clamp till after lunch, 2 weeks next bank holiday. or whenever DNO decide they've nothing better to do on a wet afternoon.

i usually find that the 3 hours is the time it takes on the phone to get hold of somebody who knows what i'm talking about.

Electricity Northwest are pretty on the ball. Anything regarding high Ze, or dodgy earth situations then i call them to report. Everytime its been within 3 hours.

Must admit, before they took over a few years back, you couldn't get hold of anyone, thats because United Utilities subbed everything out and the supplier didn't know anything.

For other in the ENW area, the easiest number to phone is 02393 022172

Thanks that was the number I used before, they told me that the installation of an earth was now chargeable. And the customer should be made aware, it used to be free but as so many houses require it, it's now a chargeable job.
Err ok, so a property with no earth that should have had one from new is now chargeable.... Customer is happy with the clamp lol you can't win!

Thanks that was the number I used before, they told me that the installation of an earth was now chargeable. And the customer should be made aware, it used to be free but as so many houses require it, it's now a chargeable job.
Err ok, so a property with no earth that should have had one from new is now chargeable.... Customer is happy with the clamp lol you can't win!

Only if they provide an earth connection where there was none before (eg, TT system) Otherwise it is there statutory obligation to maintain an earthing connection that they have previously provided....

A very simple way to check if this was always a TN-S service, is to pop next door either side, with your customers assistance and check on those installations. If a TN-S earthing connection is present at those properties, then you can be pretty sure that your customers service has always been TN-S also...

You just have to make it clear to them that you are reporting a problem with their earth connection that they have supplied.

Never mention there's no earth connection, just that its in need of repair.

Can't see how one DNO can moan about it and another come out and repair it. Surely they are all working to the same guidelines or whatever they call em.

I did say that it was a TNS and there was a bad connection via an earth clamp on the cable, i know the connection was ok i put it on but i was trying to tell them they need to rectify it! She went on about how the customer need to put in their own PME !!
I was like but its a TNS??? She was saying well its chargeable! She didnt get that it was a lead cable which is a TNS earthing arrangement only you didn't supply an earth to it!

I did say that it was a TNS and there was a bad connection via an earth clamp on the cable, i know the connection was ok i put it on but i was trying to tell them they need to rectify it! She went on about how the customer need to put in their own PME !!
I was like but its a TNS??? She was saying well its chargeable! She didnt get that it was a lead cable which is a TNS earthing arrangement only you didn't supply an earth to it!

You were obviously talking to a phone pool operative, with absolutely no technical know how whatsoever, and even sounds more like a sales person than an enquires operative!! ...lol!! Next time, at least try asking to speak to the ''Duty Engineer'' responsible for the area your working in....

so come on then, who gets a quick Ze BEFORE carrying out any work?...maybe on a survay visit (with the permission of the person ordering the work of course)?....so if the Ze is high....theres enough time between survay and second fix, isp and test for it to be dealt with....

In all honesty, the DNO will do nothing, the clamp will loosen over time but only to a degree that they still provide a pretty good connection, it all depends how tight it was done up in the first place (hopefully just tight enough to hold clamp stable, round our way they usually have 2x bare 4mm's or 1 x 6mm sweated to the sheath, some idiots cut these off when doing re-wires and install a clamp to attach their 16mm to.

I would terminate the sweated 4/6mm's into an earth bar and take your new 16mm to that, You are not reaponsible for the distributors earthing arrangement!

Reply to DIY TNCS - Advise Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net